Granddaughter

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Granddaughter

Post by garylmast »

I decided to try a few more scans with the David Vision scanner I just got, before I jump on it or give it away. I scanned my granddaughter and spent a few hours cleaning it up in ZBrush. The colored one was 3-D printed with ABS and the other I sliced in Aspire and machined it from cherry wood.
Attachments
TiaraDSC01680.jpg
TiaraDSC01681.jpg

dldecker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Granddaughter

Post by dldecker »

looking good, how long did it take?
Dana Decker
Aspire 8 something
CaMaster Stinger I

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Hi Dana, Scanning and stitching took about 20-minutes. Fixing the scan in ZBrush was 3 or 4 hours. Printing it on the 3-D printer was 15-hours. Doing the stitch in Aspire and applying toolpaths was a few minutes. Cut time was a little over a hour. The cost of the 3-D print was about 30-times more expensive for material than the cherry wood. Gary

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: N/A

Post by CharlieP »

Gosh! Quite the difference between the 3D print times and the cutting times!

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Yep. Horrible markup on 3D filament. I've been using Aspire to process a few files for my new Printrbot Simple Metal printer and although it hasn't been a problem so far the exported STL files are always hollow when I print them. Aspire doesn't do undercuts so I usually split any file that has them in two and lay the sides down to print.

Curious what you did for infill on the 3D printed version?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I have the Stratsys UPrint Plus and the software allows solid or hollow, however it fills the hollow area with a web design to allow for support. this thing was just a wild hair and I wish I just stayed with my CNC machine and save myself a bunch of money. I can also hollow it out in ZBrush. 3