Hex Wrench Storage Solution

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Hex Wrench Storage Solution

Post by zeeway »

You may find this useful, or you may just get a laugh…but for a while now, every time I reach for a hex (allen) wrench, I have to sort through many before I find the right one. There are metric ones and inch ones, and I really don’t care what size it is as long as it fits. I tried for a while to put them back into the plastic snap holders they came in, but that was just too much trouble.

So here is the picture of my solution. While admittedly overkill, Aspire was used to layout the holes and drill them into a new top piece for that box that I have saved for about ten years without knowing why. I do not like the idea of throwing away a perfectly good wooden box…
Hex Wrench Storage.JPG
The solution does work well. I can easily find the one I need, and slip it back when done. So if you are a bit OCD, find yourself a wooden box and solve that pesky hex wrench storage problem. (Is that the sound of laughter I hear?...)

Angie

dansfoundry
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Hex Wrench Storage Solution

Post by dansfoundry »

Looks just like my set........... always one missing:>) Dan

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I use a magnetic knife holder. You can even mount it under the lid of a box.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Nah, I am not gonna laugh until you start going around your shop color coding the screws to match the wrenches. Saw that one in Shop Notes.

Now me? Mine are in two stands that they came in. So I just truck the stands over to where ever I am and start guessing which one fits.

Interestingly enough, I have never lost one from the stands, but every one of my plastic holders has one missing, obviously the one I need.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Hmmm, color coding screws and wrenches...now that's an idea...

Angie

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

FixitMike wrote:I use a magnetic knife holder. You can even mount it under the lid of a box.
Magnets holding tools can cause problems. Like picking up every itty bitty tiny piece of metal dust that is around.

I put my chisels on a magnetic holder, was real fun trying to sharpen them after they became magnetized.

A tool being magnetized can be a plus and a minus. Drop a little screw into a hole, try to engage the screwdriver and it leaps out. But sometimes it works the other way around and is a benefit.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns