vac press part1

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Woodbug
Model of CNC Machine: Blurry Customs

Re: vac press part1

Post by Woodbug »

A lot of the machines I have seen used something that looked more like a rubber sheeting. How about a membrane like they use in roofing? Do you have any builders or roofers up there that you could talk to?
Former roofer here. The rubber roofing materials is EPDM Rubber roofing. Its a great, indestructible, stretchy stuff. Feels like inner tube rubber, but thicker. You can glue it together with common rubber cement. Unfortunately you can only buy it in big rolls, 10' x 50'. However you can purchase the same stuff as a EPDM fish pond liner in much smaller sizes. The ones I seen were little thinner than the commercial roofing, but strong enough for vacuum table. I found good deals on Ebay. make sure its not vinyl pond liner, completely different stuff!

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Great idea! Here's what I found without trying too hard:

Amazon - 5' x 10' - $52.00 and free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Firestone-Mil-EPD ... pond+liner

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

that would work ok but i was hoping for the clear so you can see your work,but if it works why look at it curing---
thanks

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Re: vac press part3

Post by stankern »

I assembled everything bolted screwed calked sealed etc, I used vapour varrier 6ml for testing,closed up the frame hooked up the vac and it failed
it was drawing very little vac,i was very disappointed,I took everything apart seals inner frame and then just placed a piece of vapour barrier on the mdf table over the
oring seal ,closed the frame drew a vac and it worked.Too simple built all that extra stuff for nothing
Its working great ,i will now start serious shopping for vinyl or polyurethane sheeting

I pulled a vac on everyhting ,including my hat
I am very pleased with results Thanks don kondra
Attachments
table1.jpg
table2.jpg
table3.jpg

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Sorry to hear that Stan. In your pictures there looks to be an O-ring groove in the top frame and the base white board. Is this correct? If so, this might be the problem : you are forcing the plastic into the top groove, which deforms it and causes leaks. Flat surfaces on top should make for a better seal. In vacuum work it is rare to put O-ring grooves on the two sides of the seal.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

ok i can try that ,i thought this would be a better seal

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

I really like the idea that it works without all that extra framing on top! Makes it easier for my idea of hiding it under a table when not in use (freeing up shop space). Do you even need the o-ring around the base anymore? I'm thinking I could use my little vacuum table for my Stinger (I rarely use it but it is a really well-made, nicely machine piece) as a portable vacuum press. Most of the time it is just hanging on the wall in the shop...

Mike

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

I feel the oring is important but i machined out a groove on both surfaces and paul mentioned that i could have left one flat
possibly thats why its now working as the plastic vapour barrier is on top the oring and its sealing nicely

all this is just another use for the vac pump

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Stan, if you have a few km of that O-ring material about, you could put one on each side of the plastic ...
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Toad
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Toad »

Good day:
Have you tried www.veneersupplies.com.
They have vinyl in rolls, or cut to size.

Toad

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

Len's Mill store has this thick plastic from time to time, and also try Plastic World in Toronto.

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

thanks for the info ,i have been to the lens mill never thought of that but
i did find a spot to order polyurethane ,supposedly the best for vac press(no heat) http://www.veneersystems.com/ this company is in buffalo
and brings goods across the border which inb turn saves us canadainas been dingeed by guys like UPS for high brokerage fees,so the parcel comes to me from fort erie,we'll see how this goes .
We are treated very badly by some couriers,thats why I prefer the post office,slow but they keep there cost to us reasonable(free trade eh)

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

Cut a .075" deep groove in your spoil board and stick down 1/8" thick, 3/8" wide closed cell foam tape in the groove (like this, only 1/8" thick http://www.homedepot.ca/product/closed- ... ape/941509). Then just lay a piece of polyurethane over it with your work underneath. If you have a good vacuum, it will seal almost instantly. If you have a slow vacuum you might need to place a frame over it to push the plastic down until the vacuum forms the seal.

You don't have to take the foam gasket off your spoilboard when you want to cut something on it. The foam gasket will actually increase the vacuum hold down power when cutting on the spoil board (as long as your workpiece completely covers it).
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Jim L
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by Jim L »

You can find poly material at veneersupplies.com along with other supplies you might need:
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/ ... -Wide.html ,

They also have free instructions for a DIY vacuum press, DIY electric vacuum system and lots of other information:
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/v2-about.htm

Same guy does both websites - I think.