Memorial Plaque

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Memorial Plaque

Post by mikeacg »

One of the UNCW psychology students contacted me about creating a memorial plaque for Dr. Sperry (Roger Wolcott Sperry is a Nobel winner (back when it meant something) and studied left brain/right brain).
I modeled it in Aspire and cut out of 1" PVC since it needed to be mounted outside.
Attachments
Here is the Aspire model
Here is the Aspire model
and here is the project after being cut. A little sanding and stain and it will ready to mount.
and here is the project after being cut. A little sanding and stain and it will ready to mount.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Memorial Plaque

Post by Mike-S »

Nice design and the final product turned out great. PVC is usually bad as far as "fuzzies." Can you tell us a little about how you got such a nice finish?

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Re: Memorial Plaque

Post by mikeacg »

I had some de-laminating on the edge of the type area in the lower right (as you can see in the picture). I used an 8% step over on the 1/8" ball finish path (it took a long time but I want this to be really nice since my name is on it) and most of the fuzzies came off with a bristle brush (I think it was made for cleaning shoes - My dad bought it from "Industries for the Blind" years ago and it had been laying around in his shop. Now that he has gone into a home his tools are migrating to my shop...)
Do you have any experience with finishes to PVC? I was thinking of using a wash of stain to 'pop' the image but don't know what I can do to the surface and not wreck it. I'll call one of my sign buddies tomorrow or ask on the sign forum I guess...