Triangular Bowl

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Triangular Bowl

Post by Tailmaker »

This bowl project was intended to show that a bowl does not have to be round (admittedly, the word "bowl" suggest a round shape...) and as another trial for my flat machined dovetail method. FWIW, the shape is actually one corner of a truncated cube polyhedron. While it looks triangular, the joints of the 3 sides are actually perpendicular.
The side parts and the foot were designed in Aspire (also the tool paths incl. the inlay), while the joint tool paths were created using the above mentioned special flat dovetail software. In this case, each side board has pins on the right side and tails on the left side, both slanted 45 degrees against the board center line.

Finished product:
IMG_4606.JPG
Machining the pins:
IMG_4596.JPG
Machining the tails:
IMG_4598.JPG
One finished side board (all three are identical):
IMG_4599.JPG
The disposable vac gasket to hold it in place:
IMG_4593.JPG
Test assembly:
IMG_4600.JPG
Inlay prepared for glueing:
IMG_4601.JPG
Inside:
IMG_4607.JPG
Bottom/Foot:
IMG_4610.JPG
Inlay detail:
IMG_4611.JPG
Came out quite nice, if looking a bit weird for a bowl...
One lesson learned is to figure out how to clamp such an unusual shape before applying glue and assembling. There was no way to apply clamps and I had to just push the joints together by hand and rubber mallet. Still a good fit, even if there are small gaps that could be avoided with some clamps.

The sides are red oak, not my preferred wood for such projects but I had a ton of cutoffs. Inlay and foot are black walnut. I used a clear hybrid silane glue for the inlay and the joints.

Finish is a base of Danish Oil, then 3 coats of super fast drying clearcoat enamel, buffed dull with steel wool and a final application of carnauba wax.
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Triangular Bowl

Post by jfederer »

Amazing 3D visualization as always! The "making" itself is impressive, but the "thinking" that must precede it is what I find really inspiring.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Your skills and creations are second to none. Nice job.
Steve

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

Post by sobfu »

After seeing those dovetails, I can imagine that you were top of the maths class. It looks terrific and I also like the way you added the inlay work.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Thanks for the praise, guys! Was a fun project.
sobfu wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:08 am
After seeing those dovetails, I can imagine that you were top of the maths class.....
Not really. But I am on a first-name basis now with sin, cos and tan. Not to mention Mr. Pythagoras and Mr. Thales. :roll:
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Yep, and my Rotties like to eat corn. Guess math has been on a first name basis for a while.Thanks!!! for all of the fun stuff!!!
That's some math to make that!

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I like everything about it from the integral stand/base on up G!! :) :)
Neat work!
scott

Ooh....How did you cut the base to fit in the bottom groove? Slot cutter?
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

scottp55 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:39 pm
.......Ooh....How did you cut the base to fit in the bottom groove? Slot cutter?
Good question and long answer: I did not.

I had intended to cut the base with a thin edge to fit into the grooves. Only to recognize when test assembling that the 3 grooves only line up perfectly when the joints are fully engaged. That means while you start engaging the joints and when the base should start engaging as well, the grooves still don't line up yet and the base will not go in there.

Oh well. I just chiseled off the lower edge ridge (yikes, by hand...) making the grooves into rabbets. Then machined the base to fit into the final assembly and glued it in place. For better looks I then poured a thin layer of tabletop epoxy on top of the base that also hid the imperfections.

Nice thing about working with wood: you can always tweak and work around problems. Obviously, this happens mostly when doing one-off projects. Not a big thing for series production.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the explanation Tailmaker!
(need another cup of coffee to visualize That assembly problem:)

Much easier the way you wound up doing it, but easier only by comparison.
Keep on thinking and having fun:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.