Holding Cross 2 Rail Sweep

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
paulschultz
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Aluminum Plate R&P

Holding Cross 2 Rail Sweep

Post by paulschultz »

I'm having an issue getting a smooth roundover on my small holding cross and am hoping someone can take a look at it. I've thrown a lot of spaghetti at the wall for a few hours now and have tried everything I know but can't quite get it. My intention is to make this in two mirrored halves so I'll add a couple of .125" alignment pins. I want it to have aggressive round overs with no flat spots on the top.

I wasn't able to attach the file here due to "File too large" error message so I hope this link works:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lDqbya ... sp=sharing

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Holding Cross 2 Rail Sweep

Post by litzluth »

This may not be exactly what you are after, but here is a modified version. (I couldn't figure out the original bitmap image.)

I think you may have used multiple sweep profiles which led to the oddities in the model. This version is swept using only one curve (the one on the lower left), extruding along two internal vectors, and then smoothing along the outside perimeter and parts of the inside. (Despite the "two rail sweep" in the title, I'm pretty sure your version was made using the extrusion tool as well, not the 2 rail sweep tool).

In the attached version I believe I removed all the components except those I used.
Attachments
Holding Cross.crv3d
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

paulschultz

Post by paulschultz »

Thank You Litzluth. Can you save it to version 10.5 please? I tried both the extrude and the two rail sweep methods (note the various layers).

litzluth
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by litzluth »

I don't think it is possible for me to save to an earlier version.

paulschultz

Post by paulschultz »

Thanks, I refuse to upgrade because when version 11 came out It was 11 months since I upgraded to 10 but I wasn't eligible for 11 because I wasn't within the 6 months as I remember. So I'll wait until version 12 before I upgrade. :(

I changed my toolpaths to use THIS 3/8" Roundover bit instead and changed to a double sided job. It's going to be a lot faster cutting and I won't have to glue the two sides together. I'll add some tabs and change the job size to the size of my board and maximize the quantity to what will fit. I also ordered THIS 1/2" Roundover bit so I'll experiment with that also.

Here's my new file:
Holding Cross, Roundover.crv3d
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 19 times

For starters, this is going to be a gift for Debora from South Korea who is interviewing for the Youth Pastor position at our church. I'll use Birdseye Maple. :D

Thanks again,
Paul