Box lid

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Gocarter
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ pilot pro

Box lid

Post by Gocarter »

I carved this yesterday. It is Cherry, 10.5" x 25", 1 3/4 thick. The design was carved on top of a "pillow".
Cut took a total of 17 hours, finish was a tapered ball nose 1/8 (0.125) running at 125 inch per IPM.
flourish.jpg
flourish detail.jpg
I am very pleased with it overall.
There are a few things about the design that bug me a little. I have already modified the design so that if I cut it again with should turn out better.
flourish with circle.jpg
This is what I don't like about this model. This "bridge" that is formed by elements that are too close together for the cutter to get in between. This cut time was already 17 hours, so I didn't want to use a smaller cutter to get rid of artifacts like this.
What I did do is bring this model into ZBrush and modify it a bit. If the leaves are in contact with the rail, that "abnormal" bridge will not be there. It can be a little difficult to appreciate in the pictures, but the leaf is moved closer. I did that in a few places. It is not a big change, but I think that the overall effect will be nicer.
Original
flourish Zbrush.JPG
modified

flourish ZBrushmodified.JPG

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Box lid

Post by scotttarnor »

That looks nice, could you have removed the “bridge” with rest machining by drawing vectors?
Scott T

@scottscnc

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great job
Try using Rest Machining to clean that spot up with a smaller BN Bit
Thank You
Doug

Gocarter
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ pilot pro

Post by Gocarter »

I had too look up rest machining. I was unaware of this technique. I think though that this would be a great time to upgrade my Aspire. I'm currently using 8.5... even if you can do it in 8.5 it is time to upgrade.