Duplicating Molding Profiles for profit

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
toymaker
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Duplicating Molding Profiles for profit

Post by toymaker »

Hello
This is funny, I just did the same thing the other day, and came to the same conclusion- it´s a great niche. I made it in Surfcam though, it´s a bit complicated so I hope I can afford Aspire soooon...

Christer
http://www.kyltti.fi

Bob_S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop Max

Post by Bob_S »

I just had a thought, unusual for a Saturday morning,
to make it easier when trying to accurately photograph the end of a molding, try the following:

Slice off a fairly thin section at 90 degrees on a chop saw
lay it on your scanner
a quick scan and either work on it in an imaging program to make a B&W or hi contrast conversion, or take it right into Aspire as is.
the geometry of this image should be absolutely perfect

getting a camera set at exactly 90 degrees to a small part is difficult, but it is simple to use a scanner and a chop saw
Even though you are on the right track - you will get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

That's an excellent idea Bob!

If I had taken that approach I'm sure it would have saved considerable time. I still have the profile samples I made and will give that a try later. I'm pretty sure my scanner (HP) has both black and white and greyscale scan modes.

Thanks for sharing,

Tim

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

You can also use these techniques for cutting molding disks to go on the top and bottom of columns if you have an indexer. We just completed about 24 of these for a customer to match the moldings on a set of vanities the customer was making. In our case, the customer had a plastic cutout of the molding patterns and we were able to take photos of the cutouts, and used the jpg files to create the profiles as described by Tim and others. We also used 3D techniques with a ballnose bit, and added a couple of profile passes to duplicate flat areas of the molding profiles with a 1/4" end mill. Depending on the profiles (we duplicated 3) the disks took from 9 minutes to 30 minutes each to cut. The photo below shows the disks for one of the vanities plus some of the other pieces we cut.
Attachments
Vanity Pieces.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

myozman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by myozman »

I have also done some arch profiles in the past. I have had luck in finding common profiles online that I can import, or if custom, I have drawn in autocad and imported as vector. I wish I could come up with a faster way to cut though.

Mike
MechMate Owner/ Operator #16

Robatoy
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 General

Post by Robatoy »

Excellent! Thank you for sharing. Intuitively I always felt that the 2-rail sweep could yield those quality results. I will now give it a try. :)
Rob S

I am too poor to be buying cheap stuff.