Vertical "curls" challenge (to me)

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Artaud

Vertical "curls" challenge (to me)

Post by Artaud »

Hello everybody.
First of all, apologize me for my poor English. I am not sure if "curl" is the right word for what I mean.
Anyway, I will try to explain myself. I am playing around with Aspire, to model some typical decorations made by my customers. Using the powerful Aspire tools and sometimes external surfaces prepared with other modeling programs (Rhinoceros, some modeling software), I got very good results in many different situations, including "horizontal spirals" (like the one with a green arrow in the picture). My barriers are what I call "vertical curls", like the ones with red arrows in the picture. They do not have "underdcuts", so it should be possible to obtain and machine them. I was able to model something, but the results are not so satisfactory. Can you help me with some hints?

Thank you in advance,

Artaud
curls.jpg
curls1.jpg

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Vertical "curls" challenge (to me)

Post by tmerrill »

Artaud,

Good question. I did a simple design to show the technique I would use. You should be able to obtain the detail needed by spending more time developing the profiles. I would also recommending breaking it into smaller components which you combine at the end.

I did it with two 2 rail sweeps. One developed the "knuckle" height and proportions, the second the overall profile. As I have arranged the vectors in the attached pictures, the knuckle is the vertical profiles while the overall profile is the horizontal.

After creating each 2 rail sweep and saving them as a component, they were merged. Then the 4 vectors used to create the two 2 rail sweeps were joined into a closed vector and used to trim the design.

Finally, the right side was copied and mirrored to produce the final design shown.

Tim
Attachments
Two rail sweep knuckle.JPG
Two rail sweep base profile.JPG
Merged components before cutout.JPG

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Final two pictures.

I hope this helps answer your question and good luck with your purchase decision.
Attachments
After trimming.JPG
copy and mirror.JPG

Artaud

Post by Artaud »

Thank you very much, Tmerril, for the time you spent to answer to my question. Well, just to clarify, I am not evaluating Aspire to use it for any job. I am a reseller, and I started working with Vectric at the end of 2009, just few days ago. But, since I do not like to act as a box mover, and I want to be able to fully support all the product we sell, I am spending some time in studying Aspire (and I am enjoying it very much).

Well, coming to "curls" challenge, my problem was not the "main body". To solve this task, I used a slightly different approach from the one you suggested, but it worked fine as well.
Attached is my result. But the problem is on the side, where I do not get, unless using sculpting tools, the "curl" (or spiral) I wont:
Attachments
Spiral.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would refer to that as a scalloping effect on vertical walls of a design.

There was a similar discussion ->here
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Artaud

Post by Artaud »

This is more or less what I would obtain:
Preview.jpg
component_grayscale.jpg
but to get this, I had to use a loft surface, obtained between two spiral curves in Rhino:
RhinoSRF.jpg
I just saved it in .OBJ format, then, after imported it, I placed a relief on top of the surface.
I think that working with the help of other programs, it would be possible to obtain interesting results, but I still have to discover many things in Aspire. Thank you very much for your help in doing this.

Artaud

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Artaud,
Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Now I understand -- though I don't have an immediate solution :oops:
- Randall Newcomb

Artaud

Post by Artaud »

Anyway, thank you very much for your interest and suggestions. I have to say that the spirit of this forum is very nice, and I feel myself very good here. I hope to be helpful for somebody in the future as well.
Thanks everybody.

Artaud

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Looking at the layout on this ->link I wonder if it couldn't be done with several sets of two rail sweeps.

James Booth did a demonstration of this with the linenfold and banner. Tim or Viktor can probably do this faster than I can.
- Randall Newcomb

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

I have already played with a spiral for another project. Just haven't figured out how to do it vertical without undercuts :D
Attachments
spiral.JPG

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Tim,
I think you've got the right Idea.
And as you said I don't think it can be done without an undercut.
Probably not a way to model it, but you could create the curls like you did with the spiral and make an wood applique and apply it to the finished product
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

for this type of work, you ned to use the stl export function in aspire...
after sides are ready, need to position the sides, or assembly in a third party program...
the cheapest of them accutrans, cost about 20$ and knows many of 3d formats

and here's two link which ones might give answer you... your questio as i understood, how you can set on a side some curl...

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... rbel#p4709

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=corbel

viktor

Artaud

Post by Artaud »

Hi everybody,
I am really impressed about the spirit of this forum. Again, I feel I am in the right place, with the right people and the right product.
I tried some days ago with Archimede spiral, placing it on a side of a 3D model (entirely done within Aspire, using different 2 rails sweep). This method works, but it is good for a violin as an example, or for a leg of a chair, when you need to apply the spiral only on a couple of faces. This because if you need to obtain the spira on a side of the model, you need to export the model, import it in another 3D program, orient the model parallel to the face where you want to apply the spiral, reimport it inside Aspire and finally apply the spiral. It is not the best way if you have a floreal relief, when you have tenth of spirals. I am sure there will be another approach, and I am sure too that somebody of you will find a smart solution.
Spirale3D.jpg
spirale.jpg
Artaud

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Thanks Randall for the memory jog of James' linen fold video :D

This is really rough, but it's all Aspire!

Since we can't machine undercuts on a 3 axis machine, a design like this, just more refined, is all that makes sense to me. Even after more work in Aspire, if it had a few rough edges after machining they could easily be cleaned up with hand tools and sandpaper.

Tim
Attachments
Curled ends.JPG
Curled ends 2 rail sweep profiles.JPG