Profile a 3-D shape?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Profile a 3-D shape?

Post by tamathumper »

Is there any way to run a profile around a shape once the finish pass has been run?

I know the roughing pass runs a profile around certain sections once its complete, but I wonder if it's also possible to do it after my finish pass?

I'd also like to be able to run a limited finish pass with a finer bit, but it would take forever to do this entire 4'x6" piece, so I'd like to just do it in a few key spots? Is that possible?
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

inventall

Re: Profile a 3-D shape?

Post by inventall »

I do not know the answer to either of the questions you asked but I would also be interested to here if they are possible as I am looking at purchasing.

Thanks, Pete

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Hi Tama,
What you are looking for is called "rest machining" and has been discussed a good bit on the forum in the past. If you do a search for "rest maching" there is some very good information on how to do it.

You might start here as it is the most recent discussion.

Good luck with your project and be sure to share some pictures when you are finished.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

jhegel

Post by jhegel »

Prior to rest machining I have created a vector around the area that I wanted to machine with the smaller bit and created another finish tool path. As long as you get your Z set the same as the original finish tool path it should work out.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Thank you all, I apologize for being such a noob.

Now that I know what it's called, I'll do the appropriate searches and studies.

You're the best!
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I used that technique on this project.
DouglasAnna2.jpg
Most of the carving was done with a 1/4" ballnose bit however I did some work around the edges of the rings with a 1/16" ballnose bit. It kept the edges nice and crisp and was well worth the extra 20 minutes of machine time.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop