"trimwork" with aspire

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

"trimwork" with aspire

Post by gravirozo »

the two rail seep a very exciting feature in aspire... many of possibilties, one is the trim making, or reconstructing....

first, how it works.. people , never worked with cad-cam before, they might confused with this feature...
the picture shows it...

after select the rails, first selected has blue marker and the second has red marker... these markers inform us about direction of rails... for better control you might cut on one point closed curves...
also the selected crossection has a blue marker indicated not only the direction but shows what end of, goes to what rail... (1st picture) in case assymetric crosshape we need to know

aspire will "stand up" the crossection to perpendicularly to the workplane...and "run" between rails (2nd picture)

also when a "spidernet" appear on your drawing after selection, it will indicate need to reverse rail direction (3rd & 4th pics)

when you select add. it will raising out of surface (positiv values for height) or selet subtract make a mold (negativ values for height) (5th & 6th pics)

merge function will makes "no affect" on surrundig objects...
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05 after ADD positiv.jpg
06 after SUBTRACT mold.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: "trimwork" with aspire

Post by gravirozo »

some simple shapes, like square or circle can be made in "one pass"...
for complex shape, or line and arc attached, might need editing.. (01 pic)

with this method the corners might not what we expect...
also for sharper result, you might build all element separated and build them together (corner, sharp corners pictures)

the result is predictable of the auxillary vectors, they showing after selection if they not perpendicular to the rails, or pointing out of arcs centers, the result might acceptable, but different as we started to make.. (conturlines)

in this sample i would like to show how joined a straight and an arc correctly, as need no sculpting...

the basic rules on this procedure, the connecting surfaces need to be same lenght, and on the same point is same height... also the offseted lines (rails in two rail sweep) need to be ending as the "tangential" equal on both elements end...

in this case the connecting elements have no straight "connecting" surface that's why need to find it first... ie the two end of this cutting line lay on different angle...

the attached draving shows the auxillary lines, made by offsets between rails... and the crossings of these lines will give the curve, that the two element connecting right...

the attached draving shows the auxillary lines, made by offsets between rails... and the crossings of these lines will give the curve, that the two element connecting right... (transition)

with this curve we can make already the corner...
Attachments
01.jpg
corner.jpg
sharp corners.jpg
conturlines.jpg
transition.jpg

capnl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz Z-1000

Post by capnl »

looks like Viktor is applying for a job at Vectric :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing this with us Viktor
It opens much more possibilities to expand our business !!
We knew Aspire could do this but one needs to see how it works

Cheers

John van Gent
DRW-Holland
DRW-Holland
CNC-Step S-1000 machine 1000 x 590 x 110 mm
Aspire - VCarve Pro - Photo VCarve - Cut3D

ckurak
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: PRT12060

Post by ckurak »

Thanks, Viktor.

I also learned, by trial and error, that if a "spidernet" appears, it may be because the 3 vectors were selected out of order.

For example, I tried selecting all 3 vectors at once and could not remove the spidernet by reversing the rail directions. So, I selected, by holding down the SHIFT key, 1) a rail, 2) the other rail, THEN 3) the profile.
Charles
http://ckurak.com
ShopBot PRT12060, PartWorks, PartWorks3D

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Thank you Viktor, I have added this to my " Even I can understand files :) "
Maybe I should make " a so easy a caveman can do it :roll: "

lol
thanks again Viktor

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mark296 »

Thank you Viktor, Very nice explanation.

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

thanks for kindly words... capnl, i think vectric need programmer, or rather matematician... i am not falling any of these with my knowledge...
i could say i'm on your side :-)
i'm same user like others, the only makes different i started a little earlier... and i can't forget the beginning i was standing next a router and no one close to help...

today in the woodshop people liked the stagecoach mantel, and they were asking on moulding, that makes more fancy mantel.. i tried some simple... also with two rail sweep...
my plan is, on exist moulding carving some shallow pattern... might be flowers, ornaments or oak leaves as i learned from the video...

i choosed the standard "4 inches crown" for pattern i choosed rings as they woved in each-other... on the first picture, the all vector viewable...

first i made the ring, and set under some bump as it raise the necessary part of rings...

with area clearence i removed the extras of the bump, and made a group of the ring and the bump with add... copied and merged all component of rings-bumps...

after the lenght all together i copied in the working area...

made a component from working area i had a model of rings...

scanned vectorized the crown mould, with offset (15 % more like my model thickness) i made some room for my model... the end of vectors connecting smoothly so might need no sanding...

after two rail sweep add the previously made woven ring model... and trim is ready

the trim cost a little more like a board... also we work only with pattern, and not moulding making...
probably there are some simpler ways... this way is working for me as close like cad-cam...

thanks
viktor

ps together selecting for two rail sweep could work, if the elements made in order and all in right direction... but i didn't try this way...
Attachments
woven rings.jpg
making room 4 model.jpg
ready trim.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

from cad-cam we knows the "revolve" feature... however aspire has this too...

for two rail sweep need two rail, as two circle... a very small circle, like 0.05 already a not viewable object... but for aspire doesn't matter 0.05 mm or one mile both of them same...
after sweep, there's no hole, because the hole is not viewable...

to select we need to use the "window" selection mode, and used two rail sweep we had a disk or other object otherwise would need "revolve" function...

thanks
viktor
Attachments
circle in the center.jpg
select small circle.jpg
two rail sweep.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

today i would like to show something... about aspire works like an "abacus"...
when we create an objectt it has a positiv or negativ height...
first picture a negativ, it has value -20... however it "sticking out" of surface, not sinking...
in math way, minus plus minus equal plus... the zero can be "both"...

on the second picture i made a zero thickness flat object... and it has changed immediately for +20.... it has a hard math side anyway...

but from practical side, this is the reason, when we make a sink in a model, it might "grow" higher... looks like without reason...

on next pictures i made blocks, with height as they sows... place them on each other, as i turned on-off in the component manager the owerall height changed ....

so thinking on aboves... we can state, of a heap of object with adding we get the sum of the overlapped points... wth merge we going to get the higher of any... and with subtract we get the lowest point of overlapping objects...

this thing gave me an idea... what if...

i made another example, with two rail sweep... made first two side, and generated with merge function... eventually the four side gave a frame... with sharp corners...

somehow i want make everything like in cad-cam but this example shows aspire require different "mind".... aspire is not cad-cam... better :-)

thanks
viktor
Attachments
-20 mm.jpg
zero plan.jpg
blocks.jpg
first two merged.jpg
all merged.jpg
vectors for two rail.jpg

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Viktor,
Thank you for your input on this.

I am doing some trimwork right now and was wondering if there is a way to leave a flat area on the top surface of the trim (the thickness of what you are cutting)with out it being tool pathed and wasting that cut time?
Hope you understand what I'm asking.
Thanks,
Nick

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello nick

if i understood right, you would like to work only "inside" in the rectangle, mill only the "trim" and the bottom...
the solution is place a square of vector over on your model, or the shape you would like to work IN...and aspire generate toolpath only inside vector... everything fall outside aspire don't "see"....

i hope i answered you asked...

thanks
viktor

today iwas in the woodshop.. looks like part for mantel can be a deal...
i took them 4 rosette, i posted models... they like it...

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello

today i have checked again methods to "mitering" ... still my opinion, making of part gives more sharp result...also can be made some "formations"...
if there's some "dark" open areas between ends, the "inner" vectors can be longer, overlapped, and aspire will "seal" the corner...

i have read in several post, milling separatedly any part of our model, or "use" one part of a ready, purchased model...

aspire does 2 kind of toolpathgeneration, one between vectors and can be pocketing, conturing drilling or engraving...
the other kind is the 3d... can be the whole project, or separated by vector, ANY part of...
in 3d toolpathgeneration, a vector can limit ythe area we want to work on... we can use it limit for a dish version, or mill out only an eagle of a military emblem...
also some detail, for example a horse eyes can be milled with smaller bit as a detail...

as we can mill quickly a model with 1/4 or 3/8 bit, and only some details be milled with smaller, to remove the "leftover"....

thanks
viktor
Attachments
sealed corner.jpg
formations.jpg
select toolpath.jpg
after cut.jpg

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Hi Gravirozo,

I want to thank you for taking the time to show the techniques for working with the two rail sweep. I've used them a number of times.
I used the "revolve" method, the one with the small circle in the center to produce a rectangular frame. As you can see from the screenshot the top and bottom frame pieces are wider than the side pieces. Is there a way to make all of the parts the same width?
Attachments
Frame.jpg

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

thank you phil for your words...

this "revolving"" function useful for bowls and rounded objects... i did not try with squares or polygons..
anyway it's a good findings, because this way aspire won't make weird corners.... well, the sides will be different...

for your question i think it is not available, since the inner object not indentically match with the outer shape...

this two rail sweep in aspire is a simplified process... because the crossections are placed linearly on the two rail... i believe it would work better if it somehow would follow the method as the vcarving is computed...
mean, the crossection would be always perpendicular to the rails...

in other cadprograms mostly used only one rail, and on that the crossection is placed as its z normal is always paralell with the rail...

viktor

sorry i did not answer earlier, the last week was too busy..

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by jhop »

I have bookmarked this topic. Some day (if I ever get Aspire) I will be able to use it to learn the program. Thanks.

Jim