square shape never shows height in the manager

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
NormW
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot prt 96x48

square shape never shows height in the manager

Post by NormW »

Does anyone know why when I creat a square component in aspire and look at it in my component manager it never has any height. I am using add then make component but in the manager no ht. even after I copy into odel and reset height then make a new component out of it it still shows no ht in the manager. I don't have this problem with any other shapes I make????

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Re: square shape never shows height in the manager

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Norm,

Well spotted - this does appears to be a problem and we'll take a closer look.

In the mean time please use the Scale Height slider / percentage control.

Tony

NormW

Post by NormW »

I have racked my brain trying to set heights in a project hoping that when I cut them they will cut right. I make the components a certain height in the manager but when I scroll over them while watching the readout at the bottom right of the window the heights are never the same or what I want them to be. This is very frustrating especially when I am applying a texture. I have spent hours wathching the tutiorials.

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

NormW wrote:I have racked my brain trying to set heights in a project hoping that when I cut them they will cut right. I make the components a certain height in the manager but when I scroll over them while watching the readout at the bottom right of the window the heights are never the same or what I want them to be. This is very frustrating especially when I am applying a texture. I have spent hours
wathching the tutiorials.
Not sure what you are struggling with.

The height displayed in the Component Manager is the maximum height for the selected component (or grouped components). For example a simple dome will have the highest point in the middle but moving the cursor over the dome in the 3D window (or 2D view) will show the height at the point on the dome. Placing the cursor on top of the dome should show the highest point.

If a Flat Plane is created it will be at the specified height and placing the cursor on the flat region will show a constant Z height. If a flat plane is Added to a curved region the plane will follow the underlying shape with a constant distance from the original surface - not simply a flat plane.

If you have a specific problem please email your file to - support.

Tony

NormW

Post by NormW »

Tony : Thanks for your reply. I may have to send the file on to vectric. I have designed a few oak and maple leaves which I am attempting to put on a flat board which I have placed a bark texture. The whole board should not excede 1" thick. But when I stack them by adding one on top of another using add combine mode I get a total added up height which exceeds 1 inch. I set each components max height in the manager and am using add under the combine mode section. But when I copy into model and float the curser over it I get different heights. I have cookie cut the leaves out of the texture so I dont think I am getting a problem with stacking the compenents up . After I copy them into model I make sure to uncheck them in the manager but am still having problems. I am not giving up but I know I am missing something probably very easy. If I create a component such as a leaf with curled edges and I set the ht. should this not be the height at the maximum point??? Thanks again for your support