Lobster Boat - Compound Hull Shape

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Lobster Boat - Compound Hull Shape

Post by TReischl »

Since a lot of people like boats and they are a popular subject, thought I would share what I found out about modeling hulls. Not too bad actually. Been a while since I did any lofting type work. Here is the result, further down you will see how I got here.
L1.jpg
The hull is a compound curve, at the bow, it is concave, at the stern, convex. In the next view screen shots you will be able to see that. The hull also curves along its length.
L2.jpg
The next image shows the convex curve at the stern.
L3.jpg
The next image shows that the bow is flat (a knife's edge) and it is hard to see, but it is actually a concave curve after the edge. This slowly changes about midway down the hull to the convex hull.
L4.jpg
Relief carving is about surfaces, light, how light reflects and shadows. Curved surfaces reflect light differently than flat surfaces, that is how we know they are curved. Even very subtlely curved surfaces are apparent. So it is worthwhile to curve surfaces that should be curved. The next image is how I used the Sweep tool in Aspire to achieve the compound hull.
L5.jpg
As you can see the bulge changes in the sweep vectors, also notice that the length of the "legs" changes. Those legs are what give the hull curve from left to right. Just so you do not have to count, there are 16 sweep vectors. I controlled the length of the legs by "lofting" using a smooth bezier curve. I also used one to create the mid point for the bulges. Trying to just "wing" the bulges and leg lengths would be very frustrating.

If you are not familiar with lofting, think of it as drawing where the boat meets the water and you are looking from above. Then think how far out you would like any particular point to be from your flat surface, that is the length of the lower leg. The length of the upper leg is how far out the rail is from the flat surface. The rest is just an excercise in drafting.

By the way, you will notice that the rails do not have to be the same length either. Gotta love that Sweep tool!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

buck4
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Lobster Boat - Compound Hull Shape

Post by buck4 »

Nice work, and I can see this idea/tip being used many times.
Thanks.......Buck

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Well, my dad was a lobster fisherman for 40 years and I grew up on a lobster boat, so you'd think I'd be able to get this to come out right, but my feeble attempts are turning out pretty "lumpy" :shock:

Try, try, try again... :roll:
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Tama, in case you did not get my reply to your PM:

During our recent move, some of my files went "missing". It had to do with a power supply frying, etc. Hateful story. If I come across some backups, I will send them over. Best I can do. Sorry.

Ted

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hello treischl

yes this is the best feature of aspire... the two rail sweep... this function put aspire among modeler programs...
your hull is really lifelike...

thanks
viktor

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Here is the closest I have gotten so far - I am trying to do the entire hull and keel...

First, my layup, traced from actual plans...
Capture.PNG
... then my sweep attempt...
Capture2.PNG
... and finally the (angled) result...
Capture3.PNG
CNC: www.bitcarving.com; Hybrid 4x4, RockCliff, Mach3, Vectric Aspire 2 + Wildlife Scenes 1.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

I think because my cross-sections are vertically-oriented, I need to adjust the top and bottom curves of the hull until the two-rail-sweep vectors (in light grey) also appear vertically, otherwise they will not match up... That would be easier than trying to get cross-sections of the hull at an angle!

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Getting better, and the full hull depth looks nice, although it would require some slicing.
Attachments
Capture.PNG

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

It is best to break things down. You were trying to do too much in your first attempts. Do the hull. Do the keel. Put the two together. Don't try to do them as one object. Those are my thoughts.

tamathumper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tamathumper »

Seems to be going OK now as separate components. :)