How to convert Cut3d to Aspire

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
mark296
Vectric Craftsman

How to convert Cut3d to Aspire

Post by mark296 »

There was a time that Cut3d was the only software I had that would cut 3d relief files. So when I purchased models I would get them in Cut3d format. Now that I have Aspire I had no way to use them in Aspire so I searched for a way to convert them. Here is the way I did it.

In Cut3d, create a finishing toolpath and save it as "Test 3D dxf(.DXF)".

Open that DXF file with Accutrans 3D "which is a free download" and save the
DXF as .XYZ.

Open the XYZ file with Points2polys, triangulate the points and save as STL.
Now it can be used in Aspire.

Accutrans 3D has a full working trial version for 30 days after that it only cost $20.
Points2polys was a free program that I downloaded years ago. It converts a point cloud to a mesh.
I am not sure if it can still be downloaded or if it is even available but there are other programs out there that will do the same thing. I know Rhino3d has a plug-in that will convert your point cloud to a mesh.

So, you have the method to convert Cut3d files. Now see what programs you can come up with to do the same thing.

Here is a picture of the file I converted. Some of these files are hard to put in a frame so I added a frame to it in Aspire and carved everything all at once.
Attachments
frame.jpg

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: How to convert Cut3d to Aspire

Post by Turtle49 »

Great tip Mark!
Thanks for the info.

Another "poor mans" option...if I can call it that. Is to use the grayscale out of Cut3D and a Photopaint program.
Check out this post, where I convert a Cut3D file into a grayscale:
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24298#p24298

Once you have the grayscale you can bring it into Aspire and create a component from the bitmap and scale the height to whatever you need. The results are not as nice as yours, but still an option. It would be nice if we could import the .V3D file.

Below is a bowl I created in Aspire using the grayscale from the link above.
Tim
:D
Attachments
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

mark296
Vectric Craftsman

Re: How to convert Cut3d to Aspire

Post by mark296 »

Hi Tim,
Both methods work but are limited. My method is limited to the finishing toolpath that is created. Your method is limited to the pixels that are created. So a better toolpath or a better picture will create better results.