Custom Shapes for cut out - Relatively new to shapes

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Sjitmm
Model of CNC Machine: Infinity

Custom Shapes for cut out - Relatively new to shapes

Post by Sjitmm »

I'm trying to create a custom shape to cut out a inlay for the object to fit into. Its a cone shape (see picture) that I plan to cut out a profile of the shape into a piece of wood so that I can store the object on it's side. If you have known dimensions for a custom shape, I would think you could create almost any shape, but because mine is based on a number of angles and round / cone shapes, I'm failing to understand how to create a customer shape in aspire.

The outcome of my shape would have two cut outs that support about 25% of the (shelly jack) laying on its side. Any ideas appreciated.
Shelly Jack.jpg

JeffZ
Model of CNC Machine: avid 5x10 pro

Re: Custom Shapes for cut out - Relatively new to shapes

Post by JeffZ »

I would try one of the free/cheap 3d scanning apps for phones. The phone based apps don't make great models but it would probably be good enough for what you are doing with it

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I don't believe a 3D model is required. Rather, 2D profiles of portions of the jack to get "the visual gist" of the item.

The are plenty of full tutorials available to either automatically or manually vectorize images. Some of the shorts in the playlist from Vectric might help. Especially the tracing of the Teddy bear. See this link.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Place a light Directly in front of Jack at a distance from the jack to cast a shadow on wall of the jack. Place paper on wall where shadow is and trace the Jack shadow outline. And go from there. Once you have an outline you can Scan it into the computer and then scale it to the size, then create your vectors needed for carving from the scaled scan.

Amazing HUH???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:17 pm
Scan it into the computer and then scale it to the size
If you were to go this route I'd suggest not scaling it to size first in this fashion. Why? Because you'd be scaling a bitmap (rasterized) image. When scaling such an image down you lose information. When scaling up the image becomes blocky..

Best to:
  • import bitmap
  • trace bitmap at imported size (either auto or manual)
  • scale the resulting vectors (mathematically "accurately" scalable)
Note also that if you use the automatic method to extract vectors from the hand-drawn projection bitmap you will get two lines as your pen marks have thickness.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

adze_cnc wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:36 pm
sharkcutup wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:17 pm
Scan it into the computer and then scale it to the size
If you were to go this route I'd suggest not scaling it to size first in this fashion. Why? Because you'd be scaling a bitmap (rasterized) image. When scaling such an image down you lose information. When scaling up the image becomes blocky..

Best to:
  • import bitmap
  • trace bitmap at imported size (either auto or manual)
  • scale the resulting vectors (mathematically "accurately" scalable)
Note also that if you use the automatic method to extract vectors from the hand-drawn projection bitmap you will get two lines as your pen marks have thickness.
As always well said --- Thank You adze_cnc!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Sjitmm

Post by Sjitmm »

Thank you both...

I think I'm getting closer to having an option. The links helped as I can create a shape that will 'resemble' my shape and then cut-out. The two-rail sweep scaled cross sections with width allows me to create a similar shape... which advances my attempt given the symmetrical dimensions (side to side) but non-uniform (top to bottom). What I was hoping (and perhaps a bit to engineering on my part), is that if I know the dimensions, why can I not create shapes that are specific to those dimensions.

But given their are multiple ways to solve this, I'll attempt it this way, while remaining curious about the other.

I'll also give the other methods a try as well (3D scanning) as I love learning more about options.

BTW: Do you know if there is a way to 'raise the cut-out inlay' up on the work piece? See example picture where the inlay depth can be altered (without) redesigning the shape?
Inlay example.jpg
Thanks again,

Steve

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

First Attempt at Model of Shelly Jack
Shelly Jack.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Sjitmm

Post by Sjitmm »

Now that is impressive and just goes to show how much more experience and creativity I have to go.... well done and thank you.