Band Saw Tension Measurement

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Band Saw Tension Measurement

Post by Tailmaker »

Assuming that many Vectric users may have band saws to prepare blanks or for other woodworking purposes, I thought this is appropriate to post here...also see the Vcarve file at the end.

Background: for several decades I have had cheap(ish) bandsaws that I just tightened by pushing and feeling the blade, knowing that such saws cannot really overtighten the blade.

I finally splurged to buy a nice bandsaw from Harvey Woodworking. That got me thinking of finally measuring the blade tension to the design spec. Commercially available bandsaw tension meters are expensive and don't really look that convincing, so I designed and built my own.

For typical carbon steel blades, the usual tension spec target is around 15,000 psi (carbide tipped blades maybe more). Given the elastic modulus of most steel grades that is equivalent to a strain of about 0.05% .

The problem of measuring that over an accessible distance of the blade, (e.g. 6") is that strain is really only 3/1000 of an inch, i.e. barely measurable with a standard dial gage with any accuracy.

So I designed and built a measuring gadget that amplifies the strain movement by a leverage of 1:25, resulting in a well measurable distance with a cheap dial gage from Harbor Freight, i.e. 75/1000 of an inch. Here some pics:

Parts cut from 3/4" bamboo plywood. Other quality BB plywood would surely work as well. But I love bamboo, since it is hard, elastic and cuts without any fuzz.
IMG_4696.JPG
Assembled. The slim flexible beam next to the clamping points acts as fulcrum for the lever action:
IMG_4698.JPG
Dial side:
IMG_4699.JPG
Clamp side:
IMG_4700.JPG
Calibrating the leverage factor with a precision digital dial gage (ended up around 1:25 for the given geometry). Once established, that does not need to be done again:
IMG_4703.JPG
In use on the band saw:
IMG_4697.JPG
If somebody wants to make one, here is the Vcarve file. Quick project...
Frame.zip
(134.6 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Re: Band Saw Tension Measurement

Post by Bob Jr »

Thank you for the file Tailmaker. I really enjoy making projects like this.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: LongMill 30x30

Post by RickW3DS »

Thanks Tailmaker for all of your hard work. I especially like the puzzle maker software. Would you mind if I created a 3D printable model from your crv file? My Rikon 14-10-340 is due for another tuneup. Of course, I would share the final stl file.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

RickW3DS wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:46 pm
....Would you mind if I created a 3D printable model from your crv file?.....
No, not at all, just go ahead.

In the meantime I did a more detailed calibration of the leverage factor and found it more close to 1:23. But I think it does not matter practically. It should not really change when printing the same geometry in plastic. However, the reproduction accuracy near the clamping points is essential.
Leverage.jpg
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RickW3DS »

Thank you and please step away from Machinery's Handbook for a minute. Have been tinkering with plastic wall accuracy and it isn't ever really that accurate for a machinst's brain. At least not for the 3D printers we can afford.
I'll get on this model.

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

thanks.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Perhaps I am missing the obvious but I'd like to see an explanation of how to use the tension gauge.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Perhaps I am missing the obvious but I'd like to see an explanation of how to use the tension gauge.
It appears to me that the photo labeled "in use on the bandsaw" that the wieight of the dial indicator creates blade deflection that is measured by the dial indicator. Is this description accurate?

Thanks,

Phil

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Phil wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:09 pm
It appears to me that the photo labeled "in use on the bandsaw" that the wieight of the dial indicator creates blade deflection that is measured by the dial indicator. Is this description accurate?

Thanks,

Phil
Not really. The gage is hanging free above the table, clamped at the top end and at the bottom end to the blade, and the blade itself is prevented from moving by the small screwdriver on the table under one tooth. In this position, the dial indicator does hang off the long end and may indeed deflect the upper lever a little. But the indicator is zero'ed at that point, and all motion when tightening the blade is relative to that zero indication. Whatever deflection there is due to indicator weight does not change and the reading value is only dependent on the blade stretch.

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RickW3DS »

Still tinkering with this. How fancy should we get with this for cutting wood?

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

RickW3DS wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:02 pm
Still tinkering with this. How fancy should we get with this for cutting wood?
Not very critical, dependent on the job. After all, I never measured blade tension when I had smaller saws and I suspect I was usually running way too little tension. But with my new 15" saw that can run up to 1" wide blades I just wanted to know where I am at.
I guess it would have been useful for my old 14" Harborfreight saw as well to get the best results, especially when re-sawing or tightly curved cuts. For mostly straight free-hand cuts in thin material it is not very critical.

RickW3DS
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RickW3DS »

Agreed
Still a fun project and still tinkering!
Yep, also want to know where I'm at with these taller saws.
We can turn an old dead tree into something fancy!
Thanks again!