Cabinet doors

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Russp
Model of CNC Machine: ooznest ox

Cabinet doors

Post by Russp »

Hi
I'm new to aspire and wondered whether anyone could help me understand how to make a 3d component of some cabinet doors. I can make the doors using form tools but would like to 3d carve the corners to square them off. This video shows what I want to achieve.

Thanks
Russ

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Cabinet doors

Post by dealguy11 »

I don't do it that way. I use moulding toolpaths to square the corners instead. You get a better, smoother result that way, and it's easier to set up (for me, anyway). Also, if you are doing a full sheet of doors, 3d carving requires you to use maximum resolution (one of the 2 "hidden" resolutions that only appear if you hold the shift key when creating the file). This slows everything to a crawl.

Moulding toolpaths can be done at standard resolution. They automatically smooth vertical curves much better than 3d toolpaths and are not subject to the "jitter" that can happen on some curves when using a 3d offset path.

You need a vector for the profile, and a tiny L-shaped vector for the rail in the corner. I make a little L shape that is only .01" on a side. The important thing about this vector is that it needs to run counter-clockwise.

Cut away most of the profile first with large profile cutters, then follow with the corner path. I then run my 1/8 bit to square up the steps. See example. Don't use my feeds and speeds - they're intended for a large commercial machine.
Attachments
Door with moulding tp corners.crv3d
(166.5 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Russp
Model of CNC Machine: ooznest ox

Re: Cabinet doors

Post by Russp »

Thank you.
So much easier than I thought it would be, 10 minutes in aspire and I've now got an exact match for some existing doors.
Thanks again
Russ