Help with importing 3d Model from Rhino

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Guitarplayer128
Model of CNC Machine: Grizzly 1300mmx1300mm 4axis Chinese CNC

Help with importing 3d Model from Rhino

Post by Guitarplayer128 »

When importing a model from Rhino 6 the size is incorrect in Aspire. I tried DXF, STL and Rhino 4D, neither is exact.

When importing, the "Orient 3D Model" dialog initially has the incorrect size, it's off several thousandth's. The XYZ ratio has to be unchecked and then the correct dimensions input for X,Y and Z. Still after the model is imported, a correct size rectangle drawn around the model does not fit perfectly.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Help with importing 3d Model from Rhino

Post by garylmast »

I've also have had that problem, which caused me to remake a lot of parts. I've got in the habit of opening up the "set size" under Transform Objects and checking it against the size in Rhino 6. If it needs correction change the size there. Also, when you're importing, you can see the size there and make necessary adjustments. It's not only Rhino that I've had this problem, I've also have had it coming from ZBrush.

Gary

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The issue is caused by converting an object that was created with vectors into voxels.

In programs like Rhino the surfaces are mathematically defined by the curves used to create the surfaces.

That is lost when importing into Vectric software because Vectric uses a pixel method to represent models.

There is no "error" in either of the software programs, it is the same issue when converting a vector image into a raster image.

Hope that helps.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

garylmast wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:03 pm
I've also have had that problem, which caused me to remake a lot of parts. I've got in the habit of opening up the "set size" under Transform Objects and checking it against the size in Rhino 6. If it needs correction change the size there. Also, when you're importing, you can see the size there and make necessary adjustments. It's not only Rhino that I've had this problem, I've also have had it coming from ZBrush.

Gary
I am pretty sure that is caused by a difference in the density of the "voxels" between the two programs.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Guitarplayer128
Model of CNC Machine: Grizzly 1300mmx1300mm 4axis Chinese CNC

Post by Guitarplayer128 »

I appreciate the reply's, garylmast and TReischl. I first thought my machine was not calibrated. Then I discovered Aspire was not importing the model the correct size. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong or maybe there was a way around this.
Thanks for the help,
Bob F.