Win 10 Aspire 2D drawing called improper argument in Win 11 on Mac

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
JoniEl
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000 & D2-840 (Lasering)

Win 10 Aspire 2D drawing called improper argument in Win 11 on Mac

Post by JoniEl »

Just simple line boxes and text. So since Vectric says Aspire 11 works perfectly on Windows 11, then i'm guessing the Mac Mi ARM chip could be the issue, but no one has said anything here.

The Aspire 11 Drawing file was also made in Parallels but with Win 10 and a Mac Intel chip. Vectric must know of the complications for some software on Parallels 17 (which is required for the new ARM architecture).

As a workaround (which i don't want to do--since i'd be unable to open hundreds of past Intel-based Aspire files from the past--i wondered if i can export/save the Drawing in some other format that Windows 11/ARM Aspire 11 won't "encounter an improper argument."

I'd like to write this to Vectric too, but i couldn't find their email on Support page.

Hoping someone knows about this.

Jon

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Win 10 Aspire 2D drawing called improper argument in Win 11

Post by Rcnewcomb »

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dbdesign
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Re: Win 10 Aspire 2D drawing called improper argument in Win 11 on Mac

Post by dbdesign »

I am having the same problem with MacBook Pro, running Mac Monterey, Parallels Desktop 17, Windows 11, Mac M1 Chip, Aspire 11. Encountered an improper argument. (see attachment) This message pops up when I try and open a file from Dropbox and re-save to Dropbox. This has worked on my previous Intel Mac, but not on this new Mac. The only workaround is to move the file from Dropbox to the C:/ Root Drive on Windows 11 in Parallels, and save the file to the same location, then move it back to Dropbox. I reached out to Vectric, and as most of you know, they don't support the software running on Parallels. They did tell me that they thought it was a Parallels problem. Contacted the Parallels support team and they say it is a problem from Vectric. As many have mentioned a lot of us use a Mac for design, and Aspire or Vcarve to machine the files. I would venture to say a lot of us are using Parallels and I have used Aspire on many Macs with Parallels and have not encountered any problems until now. If anyone knows of a solution or why we are encountering this error; I would appreciate some help as this is frustrating.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 12.46.00 AM.png

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Aspire may be mentioned on the error dialog but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is throwing the error.

This thread https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/rhino-7 ... rm/136106 describes a similar problem but under Rhinoceros 3D v7. So, I’m pretty much in agreement with Vectric that it’s probably a Parallels thing.

This all may be frustrating but you’ve got:
  • macOS
  • Parallels
  • Windows 11 (Arm native if you’re lucky)
  • Dropbox (potentially being shared by macOS and the virtual Windows file system)
  • Aspire
Plenty of places for errors to happen.

JoniEl
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000 & D2-840 (Lasering)

Post by JoniEl »

A week of frustration, confusion, and strange chats with Dropbox. A Partial Solution (as mentioned below by dbdesig and by another post that may have been a different post on this topic) both found that Aspire works with the M1 ARM only if the file is located in a C: folder or subfolder. But since the problem occurs because the computer is a Mac with Parallels, that can be awkward for navigation and for storage. Perhaps Vectric (not sure) gives a popup to suggest ISOLATING Mac from Parallels entire in Parallels Settings. Compounding the awkwardness!

Dropbox, like Vectric, claims No Responsibility for the Apple New Chip complications, and both appear to have No plans for writing changes to their codes--or cannot. I don't know. Dropbox explains that neither their Standard Version, nor their Full Desktop Version, works on the M1 ARM device. Though they both have written to Parallels accounts for some 20 years, they emphasize that they don't support Parallels.

So use Microsoft S Code. This is the 2nd.portion of the Solution. Because you have made a separate Dropbox in Parallels (a 2nd Dropbox from Mac's), a file is read as belonging to Windows, and not to the Apple ARM chip. Thus you can open and save to a mutual Dropbox folder, but on two different Operating systems, as it were.

A 3rd portion of the Solution is needed because Dropbox's Microsoft-S-Mode Version does not sync, or back up, or any of the popup Dropbox specialties, including offline storage. You need to make a folder for initially collecting your previous Vectric files, and then you can save them to some C: spot where i think they will remain offline, but i'm not positive yet.

dbdesign
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by dbdesign »

Thank you all for your replies. Yes Dropbox and the M1 Arm is interesting. I will just have to do the work around cumbersome as it may be!