Box Gadget

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Box Gadget

Post by Sliverfoot »

I have a customer that has asked me to make some boxes out of 1/2" pvc using tab construction. I've used the box gadget in the past with 3/4" plywood and found that the number that you put in for tolerance really is kind of trial and error. I'm wondering if anyone has used a 1/2" material like pvc (which should actually be 1/2") and would share what tolerance number worked for them.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Box Gadget

Post by adze_cnc »

I would expect no one definitive tolerance for plywood / MDF / solid wood—especially when relying on the manufacturer's specs for router bit diameter. And the cheaper the router bit the less I'd trust its stated diameter.

I regularly cut HDPE for our ceramics department (cup and bowl inserts for "throwing bats"). Half-inch HDPE pretty much is 0.500" thick. Occasionally it'll register as 0.499 to 0.498 but very rarely.

For a slip fit of insert into bat I will use a 0.005" offset on a profile toolpath. The 1/4" bits I use regularly measure from 0.249 to 0.251 inches.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The settings anyone else uses aren't going to work on your machine straight off. There are way too many variables.

MarshaJ847
Model of CNC Machine: Automation Technology KL-6590

Post by MarshaJ847 »

Here is a YouTube video about making a storyboard for tolerances
Slot and Tab Story Board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW4OFYlzxk