Join a single line to a closed vector

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
fig.11
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam C1-44OT

Join a single line to a closed vector

Post by fig.11 »

Hello all
I am creating a set of pistol grips for my 1911. I have exacted the measurements and created the outline as one single closed vector. I then drew 2 polylines that will have further definition when I create the 3d profile, as the top and bottom will be beveled. This is where my problem is. How do I join these 2 lines to the outer vector to make one vector? The attached image shows the 4 points that I need to connect to the outer vector.
Attachments
vectors.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Join a single line to a closed vector

Post by FixitMike »

You can't. By definition a vector is closed and has zero ends, or is open and has 2 ends. If a vector had a "T" joint, a profile on the line toolpath wouldn't know which way to turn when when it reached the intersection,
What can be done is to copy the vectors to another level, and trim as required to define the bevel. You will have some partial duplicates, but that is what is required.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Join a single line to a closed vector

Post by TReischl »

As Mike said, you can't. Plus you probably do not want to.

The lines you drew are the chamfers at the top and bottom of the grips. They are flat planes. When I cut 45 grips I drew a straight line and then used a V bit to cut along that line at the depth I needed. That works very well.
IMG_20130724_082435_025.jpg
Sorry bout the blurry pic. Never claimed to be a photographer.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns