about auto save

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

about auto save

Post by 2C3D4U »

I've read about the various work arounds for saving data within Vectric, including Microsoft sync-toy, incremental saves via CTRL-ALT S etc, but why not just include that extremely useful utility within the program itself? Mention was made of computer resource drains for saves, but even if that were so, Vectric might consider allowing for 2D vector saves.

I've used AlphaCAM for 19 years, and take auto-saving for granted. Save time frequency can be adjusted. It's saved me innumerable times from accidental losses. It just works! We're only human.....how many of us draw/design on occasion, forgetting to Save As...? It happens. Ergo, proximity sensors in cars that actuate braking. I would think Auto saving data has to be easier within Vectric Aspire (11).

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: about auto save

Post by Adrian »

Problem is the amount of time some jobs can take to save. Simple 2D jobs might only take a a couple seconds but add in 3D models, even complex v-carve toopaths and it would hang the program for multiple seconds depending on the computer. I can see many people reporting that their computer is locking up at random intervals.

Make the program autosave vectors only and then people will complain that they lost their toolpaths and 3D models. You can't please all the people all the time.

At the end of the day it's just a matter of being disciplined while working, There are multiples ways to create backup copies (I wrote the gadgets that do one version of it) and they are one simple keystroke or menu selection.

If there were no impact on development and support resources then ok but I can think of many other things I would like to see in the software before a utility like that.

All just my opinion as a user of the software of course. Vectric may well be planning to put it in the next release for all I know.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I know there will be people who would use it but strangely enough I'm not one of them, I have signmaking software that has an autosave function & in 20 odd years I have never turned it on, pretty sure I am now going to regret saying that though :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just make sure I have saved my work before I make any major changes or periodically if its a long job, guess it's just habit now :lol:

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

Post by 2C3D4U »

We all mostly have discipline and good habits, some encouraged and reinforced by bad consequences. But even reinforced by the knowledge of grave consequence.............every very rare once in a while someone forgets to step on the brakes.