Fixing a hole..

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

Fixing a hole..

Post by RobSm »

Hi. I've been given some Les Paul Guitar files .stl .igs an .stp. The stl imports into Aspire with no apparent issued and it toolpaths OK.

For a machining procedure I watched Router Bob :

and as he says - 29.35 - the tool 'falls down the holes'.

I think he's in Rhino at this point.

Is it possible / feasible to do 'patches' in Aspire as he's done? ...and ...how? extrusion, or model the cutouts as 'plugs' and merge..that's much too hard...

Thanks,
Rob.
Attachments
top surface.png

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Fixing a hole..

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Rob,

My first thought to create your “patches” that will conform to the guitar contours, is to make Model Cross Sections of the guitar model, at appropriate spots. (Use the Measure Tool/Model Cross Sections option selected to create the cross sections.)

Then edit the cross sections (remove excess horizontal “feet” from the vector cross sections), create Rails, then use the Two Rail Sweep to create merged “patches”.

You may need to trim the models to just slightly larger than the shape of each void you are patching.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

RobSm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6090

Re: Fixing a hole..

Post by RobSm »

Thanks - that's given me something to explore - which is the fun of it all...

I have experimented with vectors around the pockets and doing 3D cuts bordered on selected vectors..which appears satisfactory if I were to do the 2.5 d pocketing first - but I'm worried about tear out on the edges,,..

..Thanks again I'll play with your ideas...
Rob,