Fluting Toolpath Issue

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
BassCentral
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD5

Fluting Toolpath Issue

Post by BassCentral »

Greetings Vectric forum experts:
This should be a simple one for the more experienced Aspire users out there. I am designing a fretboard for a bass guitar and am nearly done. The only issue left to resolve is the fluting toolpath I am using to cut the fret slots. I have included a shared link to the project file below for reference. Note that this toolpath must be projected into the model in order to make the bottom of the fret slots remain parallel to the curved top of the fretboard (i.e., maintain a constant depth over the length of each fret). The problem is that the toolpath ends up cutting small grooves into the edges of the fretboard at each fret location (see attached screenshot). Do any of you know a way to prevent this from happening so that I don't have to sand the grooves out after machining? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Scott W.

https://csulb-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/p ... Q?e=CWgJzw
Attachments
Fret Slots.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Fluting Toolpath Issue

Post by FixitMike »

Why are you using a fluting toolpath? A simple profile toolpath on the vectors should do it. Also, you have a zero length ramp at the start specified. That doesn't make sense.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

BassCentral

Post by BassCentral »

Thank you for the reply. I originally had created the toolpath using the 2D profile option (cutting "on" the vector), but I had the same problem. I tried the fluting toolpath as an experiment to see if that might eliminate it. With the profile toolpath, I did indeed have a 0.5" ramp length set in. That had no effect on the notching problem.

SW

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

All I can say is make sure your fret vector’s length doesn’t extend past your 3D model so that the cutter can’t run down the side of the model. See image below.

The low resolution of the toolpath simulation makes it difficult to tell much about the side grooves. Could that just be an artefact of the low simulation resolution?
frets.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You could try creating a flat plane merged model that is thick enough to prevent the bit from traveling down the edges of the fret board model (yet still allows the bit to cut the required depth of your grooves). The merged plane would be sized to extend beyond the sides of the fret board by, say, the diameter of the bit or so. The plane acts as a “bit-depth stop”. Create vector-groove vectors appropriate lengths to keep the bit from traveling down the edges of your merged plane.

Then, create a cut-out profile to release the fret board from the material, as normal. The edges should be smooth, with no trace of the fret grooves along the perimeter.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BassCentral

Post by BassCentral »

Thank you for the suggestions; I'll work on figuring out how to implement mtyler's suggestion next. Still learning, so it will take some experimentation. To answer Adze's question, unfortunately the notches are not just a graphical artifact. I did already cut out an experimental fretboard using these toolpaths, and the notches do show up in the actual finished piece. Too bad there is no boundary offset setting for either the fluting or 2D profile toolpaths when projecting into the 3D model. If there were, I could constrain the tool's path of travel to stay within the vector boundary.

SW

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The only constraint necessary is to make sure the ends of the fret lines don't "go over the edge" of the 3D model. i.e. just reduce their length.

BassCentral

Post by BassCentral »

Aha! Just trim the ends of them by one or two hundredths. I'll try that as a first step when I get back to my computer and re-run the animation. I have a gut feeling that this will work. I'll report back afterwards. Thank you all again for your time. This project is going to be cool when it is all done.

Vic-builds
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 5'x5', 4 HP PlugnPlay, Mach4

Post by Vic-builds »

BassCentral, did trimming the fret lines solve the problem? I had issues like this in Fusion before getting aspire and am curious to know how this worked out for you.

BassCentral

Post by BassCentral »

Hello Vic:

I was finally able to give this tip a try over the holiday weekend, and the answer to your quesiton is yes. I ended up shortening the length of the end of each fret slot by 0.015". When I headed out to the shop and ran the toolpaths on the actual fretboard material, the finished piece looked exactly like the Aspire animation showed. This worked out well for me since, per my design, the fretboard was a tad wide in order to allow me to finish sand the fretboard to precisely match the neck perimeter. That sanding subsequently exposed the ends of the fret slots, and the edges of the fretboard are perfectly smooth. Thanks to the tips I got on this forum, I was able to make a lot of headway on this project over the long weekend (see attached photo).

Scott
Attachments
20210705_180617[1].jpg

Vic-builds
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 5'x5', 4 HP PlugnPlay, Mach4

Post by Vic-builds »

Sweet! That's a beautiful looking bass!

BassCentral

Post by BassCentral »

Thank you for the compliment Vic. Just hoping it sounds as good.