Raised text merged with 3D models

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

Raised text merged with 3D models

Post by 2C3D4U »

This is probably an old subject... but it's not sinking in. I'm still confused.

I import a clipart dragon, dropping it into a shallow dish

I type the word "dragon" in block letters, placing it on top of the model, merged. I'm speaking of flat topped letters, no curvature.

What's the trick to getting clean sidewalls on the letters? Do I have to convert text to curves first? I can't use a profile cut, because it asks for a depth (erroneously) which is then cut into the clipart itself, even with selecting "project toolpath onto 3D model". The latter has no effect on Z depth.

It doesn't seem like rest machining works with text. Does the text have to be saved as a bitmap which is then imported as a component?
What about level clipping? Is it possible the software can be asked to consider the terrain of clipart as a level, or is level strictly XY planar?

It would be nice to see a tool "mill clean raised text on models".

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Raised text merged with 3D models

Post by dealguy11 »

A couple of options:

1. You can make the letters into components. This can be done in Aspire - no need to go outside. Select the letters, convert to vectors, then use the Create a shape from vector outlines tool. Set the flat component type and set the base height to the overall height of the dish, then set the combine mode to merge. You might want to add draft just to the letters because the vertical sides won't machine well.

2. Create the letters using a profile toolpath, with the start depth set to 0 (zero), and turning on Project toolpath onto 3d model. Why zero? Because when you say to project onto the model, you are telling Aspire to start the toolpath on the surface of the model (asking for a depth is not erroneous). When you carve the dragon in the dish, you will need to exclude the letters from the carving. Keep in mind that if you use an end-mill for the profile, it may dig into the model as it goes around the letters because the bottom of the tool is flat.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice

Post by 2C3D4U »

Thank you, Steve. Can you explain what you mean by "You might want to add draft just to the letters because the vertical sides won't machine well". "Draft"? So, will the vertical sides machine well?

Anton

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

If you are using a carving toolpath (not a profile or pocket path), then you will have problems with vertical edges on components. That is because Aspire 3D components are sort of like a bit-map - they are made of a lot of "pixels" or dots, each of which has a height. On a vertical edge, the edge is not really straight and smooth as you travel along it horizontally, because each of the pixels is like a little round pipe of a certain height. The lower the resolution, the bumpier the vertical surface between the "pipes" gets. Also, all bitmaps are subject to jaggies, as the fixed size of the pixels are placed against the line. At every jaggy point, there is a potential for Aspire to decide to plunge the bit to the bottom of the component at that point. Not sure how well I'm describing this, but after you've done it a few times it's pretty obvious.

You can mitigate this by using draft, which adds a little angle around the component so that the edges don't go straight up and down. It makes things better because now there is an actual surface made up of the tops of the pixels, and not the sudden discontinuity of the round "pipes" around the edges.

To add draft to the letter component, you would make all the components except the letter components invisible. Then use the "Create a component from visible model with draft added" tool, which is on the modeling tab, fourth row, third from the left. This tool will allow you to angle the walls of the visible model by some number of degrees that you choose.

See the attached pictures for text components without draft, and with a 10 degree draft.
Attachments
No Draft.JPG
10 degree draft.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice

Post by 2C3D4U »

Wow! Thank you ever so much for this explanation. Woefully needed all these years!
I needed to know why as much as how, and you hit a home run. Much appreciated!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Always best to say if you don't understand the reasoning for a suggestion. The draft option was suggested nearly a week ago on your other thread but you never you said you didn't understand what it was for. We won't bite if you want more details but it's always hard to judge how much detail to give in an initial reply. I've had people go off on a rant to me when I've explained something in detail that they already understood.