Surprisingly complex 3d shape

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Ryan@GWP
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smartshop II

Surprisingly complex 3d shape

Post by Ryan@GWP »

Hello everyone, hoping you guys can assist on a bit of 3d modeling that I'm finding is more complex then I first realized.

Quick background so you all know where I'm at. I've been using Aspire for about 5 years with my company but we recently started diving into 3d modeling within the last year to year and a half.

Here is how I got to where I am...

First I modeled a spin and turn for the x axis arc
Second I use a 2 rail sweep for the arc across the y axis on a second level

I will attach images of or desired shape and what I'm actually getting...

Any tips/tricks/advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Attachments
Help_Image.pdf
(24.29 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Help-3d.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Surprisingly complex 3d shape

Post by adze_cnc »

The attached was done using Rhinoceros 3D using three intersecting extrusions and two Boolean operations (see image survey). I didn't bother modelling in the hole and the counterbore as those can be effected by using a 2D profile path (and/or pocket).
Curves to extrude
Curves to extrude
Triple extruded surfaces
Triple extruded surfaces
Boolean 2 Objects
Boolean 2 Objects
Boolean remaining 2 objects
Boolean remaining 2 objects
Attachments
triple-extrusion.zip
(159.25 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Here is an example in Aspire. I didn't put the hole in it either - it should probably be made with 2d toolpaths.

This starts with two 2-rail sweeps, as shown in the level "Base Components". One of them uses the two circles as rails. The center circle is the larger circle from your "help" file. The other one uses an oval inset from the outside oval by so that it touches the center circle, and one outset from the outer oval by .125" which is the length of the little "tail" on the sweep vector. The purpose of the tail is to eliminate any spikes when you cut out the final shape.

After creating the sweeps with the combine modes shown in the file and in the order shown, I copied the two sweeps to the "Level 1" level, baked them together, and then used the border oval to clear the component outside of the vector.

I did this in a hurry, and you'd probably want to clean up the vectors a bit....I just copied and resized from your help file.
Attachments
Complex Shape.zip
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Ryan@GWP

Post by Ryan@GWP »

Thank you both for the replies, and new methods to creating the part.

Unfortunately I believe there is a slight miscommunication (realize I never fully explained) I'm trying to get a finish that blends these two shapes seamlessly together to have one smooth surface.

Here is the desired final product, I blended it by hand using our bag sander. Which was a simple fix to the problem...unless the customer asks for a large quantity order. Handwork does lean towards our custom nitch, but also opens the door for inconsistency.

Thank you again and to everyone in advance. I am new to this community and am looking forward to working with you all.
Attachments
IMG_0116.JPG

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

Even easier. You only need one 2-rail sweep. The trick is to have 2 profile vectors, and hang them off the nodes on the inner circle rail, as shown in the attached screen print.
Attachments
Complex shape sweep.JPG
Complex Shape 2.crv3d
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
Steve Godding

Ryan@GWP

Post by Ryan@GWP »

Dealguy11-

Beautiful, and thank you!

I never knew you could attach two profiles to a rail.

Thank you again and look forward to working with you another time.

Ryan

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

I'm glad this worked for you. FWIW, you can have as many profile vectors as you want in a 2-rail sweep. Sometimes, if you're trying to do a complex shape like a leaf, you can completely change the shape of the profile from one end of the sweep to the other and get extremely complex and beautiful shapes. The attached is not very beautiful, but represents that you can make very complex shapes this way. I applied the four sweep profiles as shown in the screen print.
Attachments
complex sweep example.JPG
Complex sweep example.crv3d
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Steve Godding