Sharing tabs on adjacent parts?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Chelmite
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 4x8, BOSS laser

Sharing tabs on adjacent parts?

Post by Chelmite »

Hi. If I am going to cut a part with a 1/4" endmill, I cut a 1/4" path around the outside, but place tabs strategically around the perimeter so that the part doesn't jamb the endmill and the cut-out part doesn't move or go careening across my shop once it's free.

If I have two adjacent parts, I've been placing the 3/4" apart-- 1/4" around the perimeter of each part (with tabs) and a 1/4" spline that the tabs will attach to.

That works, but it uses 3 times the area for cutout as I would like.

Is there a way to align the tabs on two adjacent parts so that cutting out one part doesn't cut the tab on the adjacent part? Tab placement doesn't seem to snap to anything (not grid, nor guidelines, nor geometry) besides the toolpath, so trying to align tabs doesn't work reliably.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Sharing tabs on adjacent parts?

Post by jfederer »

I just did a job this morning where I aligned the tabs in adjacent cut-outs. There is no automated way (that I know of) to do it. You will have to place the tabs manually.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Sharing tabs on adjacent parts?

Post by dealguy11 »

You're right, the tabs don't snap. When I've had to do this, I've drawn construction lines on the sheet to help in the placement of the tabs. Since the tabs are little arrows, it's not hard to align them to the lines.

Also, if you have a lot of the same part, create the tabs first on that part, using construction lines to make sure the left to right and top to bottom tabs are aligned, then just copy and paste that part. The tabs are copied and pasted as well, so you only have to create them once. This works with nesting, too.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost