two sided machining tip

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Phil
Vectric Wizard

two sided machining tip

Post by Phil »

This may have been covered already but it may be worth repeating. I've been doing a few two sided machining projects and learned a few things along the way. The tip has to do with the alignment holes.
When machining the holes in the spoilboard the zero refence is the surface of the spoilboard, So instead of rezeroing I found it helpful to enter a value equal to the thickness of the material in the "Start Depth" box on the Toolpath Operation box.

Phil

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: two sided machining tip

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Becki covered that in her Marlin video with two sided machining. About 33 minutes into the video. I use her method almost exclusively and it always works.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... _Machining
Steve

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I thought it may have ben covered but it not a bad idea to repeat it. Some people may not have seen the video.

Phil

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I never did like the dowel system because I was getting so many holes in the spoilboard I was making a lot of errors and didn't know what one to use, so I started using a jig system, however the material has to be dead square. On my last project, the Toyota Engine, I started making reference holes that went only through the material and not the spoil board. Once I turned the material over, I lined up the bit with the reference holes, resetting the y or x position if necessary. I didn't have to worry my material was square and it worked perfectly.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

garylmast wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:00 pm
I never did like the dowel system because I was getting so many holes in the spoilboard I was making a lot of errors and didn't know what one to use, so I started using a jig system, however the material has to be dead square.
I was having the same problem. Now when I drill into my spoilboard (usually 1/4"), I plug the holes immediately with a few drops of glue and a dowel. A few swipes with a flush-cut saw and it's almost done. To finish, I then take a couple of passes with a plane. Not a bump left to disturb the flatness. It takes me all of 2-3 minutes.

Of course now I have a polka dotted spoilboard. 8) 8)

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I, too, was having trouble with too many holes. I started putting blue tape in the area where the holes will be but I like the plugging the hole method. I also use a secondary spoilboard on top of the permanent one. The secondary one is only used for two sided machining.

Phil