Custom Stock

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
windsor
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot

Custom Stock

Post by windsor »

Sometimes it's usefull to rough a project blank out with a bandsaw before using the CNC . It would be really usefull to be able to import a custom workpiece blank as a stl. file to save lots of chips . Particularily in a 3D model where a dust foot doesn't always work the best. I've used roughed out blanks to save ships , but also wound up with a lot of air cutting . Here's a link to a project that might better illustrate what I'm talking about : https://windsorboatworks.ca/portfolio/partagas/ --Is there a way to creat custom stock in Aspire ? ---or trick the software ? --- If not it's on my wish list

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Custom Stock

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mike,

It is already possible to import your pre-cut blank as a STL file into the software, then create Toolpaths that are projected onto the model (to save air-cutting time).

So...the issue is creating that STL model in the first place. If every “blank” is the same, and if it is uniform enough, you could create your “blank model” in Aspire and export it to STL or 3dclip format to use in Aspire.

If your blanks have a lot of variation in style, shape or what have you, then you pretty much have to use a good quality 3D Scanner to create each individual model for import, etc.

Ibild.com offers scanning services if you don’t want to invest in or go through the learning curve for your own system. At the moment, a high quality 3D Scanner capable of scanning accurately (and able to scan larger objects) is about $4k (like the NextEngine and upgrade software I use myself).

It depends upon what the final product will be and what its configuration is. Many times, it may not be of much practical benefit to create a model “blank”. It may be most time-efficient to just create your final model in Aspire from the get-go, and cut it as normal.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC