pocket toolpath refuses to cut same 3 of simple array of 12 rectangles everytime.

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
JoniEl
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000 & D2-840 (Lasering)

pocket toolpath refuses to cut same 3 of simple array of 12 rectangles everytime.

Post by JoniEl »

Making a spoilboard, i drew 12 rectangles for the slots. Using a pocket toolpath I've repeatedly reset and run again slow and fast the cut out. Works perfectly on 9 of them, but passes over the same 3 for 4 or 5 tries.

Tried grouping and ungrouping. Made sure no duplicates. Nothing different about these from the others. In fact two came from others that cut fine, and one was the original of another that cut fine. The top 6 are mirrored from the bottom 6.

They're all in the same layer and so no Lock (which woulda prevented the highlighting anyway).
Pocket Tp Trouble.jpg
Never had this before. No Aspire complaint that there are vectors being ignored. Very strange to me, but some of you will probably catch something right off.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: pocket toolpath refuses to cut same 3 of simple array of 12 rectangles everytime.

Post by highpockets »

Can you post the crv3d file?
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: pocket toolpath refuses to cut same 3 of simple array of 12 rectangles everytime.

Post by Adrian »

Really need to see the file to be sure but are the pockets the same size as the bit you're cutting them with?

If the bit and rectangle are the same width then internal rounding can cause these issues. Make the rectangles a fraction bigger, lie about the bit width by a fraction or cut the slots as open vectors with a profile cut.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

How do I upload files or photos to the forum?

If the file is too large to upload then place it on a site like drive.google.com or dropbox.com, make the link shareable, and post the link to the file here.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

JoniEl
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000 & D2-840 (Lasering)

Post by JoniEl »

Adrian, you nailed it!
Solution: i increased with Offset on Outside of all Slots selected by only 2-ten thousands (.0002), and voila, all slots cut correctly!

Many thx to you Adrian, and the other suggestions that i didn't need to get to.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Glad you got it sorted. For those types of pockets it's more efficient to cut them as profiles rather than pockets. I created a gadget a few years ago to automate the process of doing that - http://gadgets.vectric.com/V10/dado_creator.html