Exporting Preview to STL

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Marko74
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Exporting Preview to STL

Post by Marko74 »

My little sister bought a 3D printer and is learning to use it. On my end, I created a wooden mask which I modeled in Aspire as a 2-sided model. I would like to export this mask to a VST file so my sister can import it into her 3D printer and print it. Sounds easy...NOT. I modified the final profile cut in my toolpaths so that there are no tabs included. Now, when I do a simulated cut, the mask completely separates from the surrounding material. Then I double-click on the extraneous material to delete it in my Preview. Then I follow these steps:
1. Select "Create Component From...Toolpath Preview"
2. Close the Preview
3. In the Modeling Tab, I select only the new component "Toolpath Preview Component"
4. Under Model I select "Export as STL"
5. Set my tolerance to 0.01
6. Toggle on "Leave Open..."
7. Hit "Triangulate"
But the software always seems to want to include the waste material around the mask as part of the VST. My question is...How do I create a VST file from my model that does not include the waster material?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Exporting Preview to STL

Post by garylmast »

When you're exporting it out as a stl file, it sounds like you exporting the limit plane also. Delete the plane from both sides before exporting.

Gary

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I found that I needed to add a pocket toolpath to cut away all the surround material before I would get clean .STL files. Just double clicking the surround away in the preview doesn't delete it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Deleting is enough in a single sided job. I guess it's something to do with it being a double sided job. I export single sided all the time and don't get that issue.

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Three questions:
  1. you say you want a “VST file” and you say you are using the "export STL” function. What is VST and how is it synonymous with STL?
  2. why bother creating a component from the toolpath preview? Can you export the Aspire model itself as an STL? It seems to me the fidelity of a toolpath preview would be worse than the pure model.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'm with Adze....
I had to look up VST file format, "What is a VST file? File or folder containing a VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugin; used for creating or modeling audio effects; typically used by digital audio programs to modify recorded sounds."
Not sure why you'd want to use an audio modeling effect instead of just using an STL.
If you have the two sided model why not just use the Export STL and select the "Close with other side" option?
Attachments
Image 880.png
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

All depends on how it's created. I export toolpathed jobs as STL's to my 3D printer all the time. Sometimes part of the job is a 3D model in it's own right but never just a 3D model that could be exported.

Unfortunately, as with so many threads on the forum, the OP hasn't given enough information to say either way.

Perhaps VST refers to the native format of the slicing/code generation program used by the 3D printer?

Marko74
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Marko74 »

Sorry...VST is a music acronym that slipped into my befuddled brain while I was creating this question. Replace VST with STL throughout. :oops: