Failure to cut

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Failure to cut

Post by Adrian »

You can't upload STL's without zipping them first. Copyright permitting people really need to see the Aspire (CRV3D) file to be able to help as that will have all the settings.

The cut file saved from the toolpaths would do to check feed rates etc if you can't attach the Aspire file. You would need to zip it or rename as a txt file to attach it though.

Joe&Elaine
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom 8 PRO +

Post by Joe&Elaine »

Found the CRV3d file, this time its to large for up load LOL The Gods are after me !

Joe&Elaine

Post by Joe&Elaine »

I did compress the file, tried to upload/drag drop into reply. Got a " to large file" reply :-) awesome
Attachments
P221c.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ok, then you need to put it into something like DropBox or OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc and share the link.

I would suggest you do that with the cnc file not the crv3d since that model may well be copyrighted.

Surprising what us oldsters know about cnc code!!!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Joe and Elaine

Please check the feedrate on the cutter. Make sure there is a reasonable feedrate programmed.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Also, are you homing XYZ after EVERY power on of your CNC? That is how everything calibrates.

Joe&Elaine

Post by Joe&Elaine »

Yes I do home the machine every time. Just tried to upload just the rough in portion of the file, also zipped it. To large again. Off to plan X-Y- or Z.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Just attach the toolpath (gcode) file. A lot can be sorted out from that.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Agreed with Adrian - post the G-code at least the first 50 - 100 lines and then the last 50 - 100 lines.

Some of old timers know how to read that stuff. :lol:
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Adrian asked to have different file run. That was said to have been done. Adrian then asked if that run was successful. That was never answered.

Did that other project run uccessfully or did it also have a problem.
Joe&Elaine wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:37 pm
I followed the procedure, loaded into an Axiom machine. The cutter comes down ready to cut and will not go to the material surface to cut.
I’m not entirely sure what “the procedure” is you are talking about here but be that as it may I have a thought:

Was the Aspire file created in inches? Did you save the gcode for loading into the Axiom machine using an inch based process or a milimeter based one? Or perhaps a milimeter based Aspire file and an inch based post-processor?

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

This really sounds like a no feedrate programmed.

Everything up to that point in the program is G0. The G0 is a default and will definatelty move. When the cutter is ready to cut there is a G1 X... Y.... Z... and F(something)

If the F has a .001 or something less than 1 is will do just that --- STOP as the control will be waiting for a feedrate, but there is none to be had.

I have seen this quite often.

I asked the question several posts back - but go no answer.

Joe&Elaine

Post by Joe&Elaine »

Hello, New plan, got a different STL file that is much smaller. I went thru same procedure as the Marine logo and got the same result. So here is the rough cut file. Hopefully I / We can find out what I am doing wrong or not doing correct.
Thanks Again for the help
Sincerely
Joe
Attachments
RoughCut.zip
(2.92 MiB) Downloaded 78 times

Joe&Elaine

Post by Joe&Elaine »

Opps-------- New plan, was not familiar with dropbox etc. BUT I will do just that today.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I could not see anything wrong in your file with the exception of no zero plane. But that would not cause what you are seeing. You should add one as a rule when doing 3D work for a bunch of reasons.

If you are using the Axiom post the one I have shows that it produces metric output.

I typically work in one unit or the other and do not mix them, so maybe some of the other good folks here can steer you in a direction that helps.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can't see anything in that file that would directly cause the problem you said about in your first post.

There's a couple of things to bear in mind though for when you do get it cutting. First the stepover of the roughing pass is set to 10%, that's more typical for a finishing pass. 40% is more usual for a roughing pass. On your finishing pass the title of the tool is 0.0625" but the actual tool you've defined is 0.125". You're using a ball nose for the profile cut out. You can do that but again it's more usual to use an end mill for that.

Have you ever had the machine cutting from toolpaths generated from Aspire? Which post processor are you selecting?

The toolpath file would be really useful as it looks more like an issue with the post processor selection and/or machine setup than the Aspire end of things.