Drawing Pen

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Henri Monnier
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joes 4x4 (Modded)

Drawing Pen

Post by Henri Monnier »

I decided to put together a pen for the CNC table so I could easily draw some templates of a project for a friend to use cutting the parts with his bandsaw.

One image shows the completed pen and the other a parts breakdown of each piece.

The copper sleeve is a piece of 1/2" soft copper (used that because the OD is 1/2"). The assembled pen fits nicely into a 1/2" collet, just like a bit would. Looking at the parts they are all pieces from a couple of pens. At the top is a short piece of a dowel that acts as a plug to keep the assembly together. That will allow easily changing the ink part. Just under the dowel, that part can be eliminated; I have it in there to increase the spring pressure. Rather than using a regular ball point , I used one of the gel pens. Was very messy cutting it as the ink is quite fluid, and a problem to get it off your hands, Next time I'll put on some rubber gloves.... the point has almost 1/4" of travel, and it works very well, Took under an hour to put together.
Attachments
pen1a.jpg
pen2a.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Drawing Pen

Post by mtylerfl »

Looks great, Henri. Thank you for sharing this!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Drawing Pen

Post by highpockets »

Clever design.

Thanks for sharing....
John