Foreground vs Background Milling

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
JayGee
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Foreground vs Background Milling

Post by JayGee »

I remember seeing the Vectrician YoYo file where gears were laid behind another gear. The gear in the background seemed to be grayed out. But from the results in the finished YoYo this seemed to mill properly.

SO, I wanted to make a plaque with a fish on it with a few seaweed in the background and have the milling done the same way - no milling where the fish is in the foreground, but milling on both sides of the fish to continue the strands of seaweed.

Would someone be kind enough to explain to this old dude HOW this is done? I'm familiar with layering, but I don't remember if that was part of the YoYo file or not. HELP!

Thanks! JayGee

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Re: Foreground vs Background Milling

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hi JayGee!

Is this the YoYo you speak of: https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... fChristmas ?
If you are wanting to learn about how to assemble models maybe you could take a look at these videos:

I hope this helps!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

JayGee
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Re: Foreground vs Background Milling

Post by JayGee »

Thanks for the VidClip Becky. I downloaded it and will go through that this evening.
I did accidentally run across a similar Vectric Help video yesterday when looking for something entirely different and sat and watch that. That also helped - The Yoyo just didn't entirely make sense to me until I watched that. NOW, I just need to keep that in mind when designing something new.