Problem with shaping components

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
NewCNCguy18
Model of CNC Machine: MACH3 CHINESE600400

Problem with shaping components

Post by NewCNCguy18 »

Hi everyone, I appreciate any help.

I’m trying to make a Captain America shield sign for my son.

My 2d image is very simple. It’s a star centered in a circle.

When I select the circle, model, create the rounded shape at 45 degrees... it gives me a perfect shield shape.

When I select new component.... select 2D star, and model that.... the star comes to a point and wraps around the rounded plane of the shield. It’s perfect!

But really. I want this to be two different species of wood. (Walnut and maple) I would like to cut the star out by itself.... (rounded, as if wrapping around the shield). But when I select only the star... and tool path. It drops down below where the shield would be, and it becomes flat (no longer curved along a shields surface).

My goal is to do the star out of one piece of wood.... on a separate job, the a job for just the shield, but create a recessed area in the outline of the star... then drop the preformed star inside and glue. I know how to do all that. However. I can’t get the shape of the star to stick without the shield.

Again. The problem is, the star only retains its “curved/wrapping” properties when the shield is also part of the tool path. But I want to make one separate. Using the hide button to hide the shield does not work either. If the shield is not selected... the star becomes flat and drops down the base layer height.

I hope this isn’t too confusing. Thanks so much for any help.

Bill