30 degree bit inlays

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
karlowitz
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy 32"

30 degree bit inlays

Post by karlowitz »

Hi all,

I just started using a 30 degree bit for V-carve inlays. Works so well. I carve .4" deep for the female and use .3 start depth and .1" flat depth for the male inlay.

So far.....the inlays have been perfect and thick. So much easier than the 60 or 90 degree bits........at least it seems that way to me. I use these mainly for end-grain cutting boards. The thin inlays just won't get it.

Anyone else tried the 30 degree bits? I love it.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: 30 degree bit inlays

Post by FixitMike »

I've used 45 degree bits successfully. They do seem to work better than larger angle cutters.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

David Rueth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by David Rueth »

I've have also been using a 30 degree bit to do inlay with very good results. I cut the female to a depth of 0.10" using a V carve tool path. Then I do the female with a Prism carve tool path set to 0.18" ( I off set the art work + 0.035" ) This allows me to get the inlay to reach the bottom of the pocket. I would post a picture of the work but I am unable to on this site. When I select "add the file" I get a blank screen.

Dave

karlowitz
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy 32"

Post by karlowitz »

Hi Dave,

Haven't tried your technique yet. Sounds interesting.
I just need deep inlays for the cutting boards. .1" or even .2" is a bit thin and would probably wear from the knives in time.

True, not all of the V- carved inlays do are .4" deep using my way but it does allow for more wear over all.

I"ve used the built in inlay toolpath in aspire and find it works great as long as there are smooth rounded corners.........no sharp points etc.

Just depends on what I need and the design.

I like the V-carve the best.

P

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Which brand of 30 degree bits are you using?

David Rueth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by David Rueth »

scubanimal

At the present I am using bits from EagleAmerican.com They work well cost seem OK and they are about 20 minutes from my house. The one thing I have found is you must do a test cut and measure it. I have found the best way for me is to cut a 1" square and measure it. I found my "30" bit was cutting a 1" square that measured 1.02". Change the Include Angle to 32 degrees and now I can cut a 1" square that measures 1". Not really sure if the bit is 32 degrees or I have a run out issue with my machine. My guess is some of both.

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Thank you David

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

A down side to V Inlays used for flooring inlays is that the inlays change shape a little each time the floor is sanded. This could be quite a problem when a 90 degree bit is used; however, using a 30 degree bit should accommodate several sandings before the inlay is badly distorted.

Paul Z