Name that tool!

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Name that tool!

Post by SawdustandSmoke »

I have two questions, I am doing some two sided machining with a rotary axis and some manual coding, When you take a model and flip/copy on top of itself how do you hide one so the height alert will not come on when calculating tool paths, right now I am deleting and then undoing that delete but it is tedious, moving it to an inactive layer does not help.

Second What is the name of the clamp/adapter that goes from the lathe chuck to a board edge? right now I am using a round piece of walnut with two screws going through it however this is not always rigid enough when getting away from the board center.

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Re: Name that tool!

Post by JMD »

Second What is the name of the clamp/adapter that goes from the lathe chuck to a board edge? right now I am using a round piece of walnut with two screws going through it however this is not always rigid enough when getting away from the board center.

N o help with the first part of your question. But, if I understand what you are asking, I think you want a "lathe dog" In metal working it clamps to the work and fits into the face plate to drive the job between centers. Hope this helps.

SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice

Lathe dog is close to what I am wanting but not quite, here is a pic. What I am wanting to do away with is the walnut piece so I can have something more rigid.
Attachments
BILD0265.JPG

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post by JMD »

SawdustandSmoke wrote:Lathe dog is close to what I am wanting but not quite, here is a pic. What I am wanting to do away with is the walnut piece so I can have something more rigid.
See what you mean. Don't know how you could do better with 3 jaw chuck. If you had a 4 jaw would not be any trouble at all. Sorry I am not more help.

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

A dog would typically have backlash in the faceplate slot.
Are you thinking of a spur center? They are normally tapered to fit in wood lathe headstock bore and need a feeding type tailstock to apply pressure.
A short piece of aluminum round stock screwed to blank should be sturdy. same as you have now but non-crushing, Can't think of any other way using 3jaw chuck.

Spur center kit ,but don't think its what you mean? Does look like this has an round adaptor that could be chucked if you have feeding tailstock, it may work?
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSET.html

EDIT: maybe a screw type center? extra holes too! (still not designed for 3 jaw chuck but may work)
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CF3SC.html

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Post by kyeakel »

Why not get a faceplate and screw it to the board edge?

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

SawdustandSmoke
Vectric Apprentice

I found what I was looking for it is a wood lathe face plate Thanks for the help
Attachments
71Rc1Yps-3L._SL1000_.jpg