3D model Vector boundary issue

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
randyb
Model of CNC Machine: Vortec

3D model Vector boundary issue

Post by randyb »

I'm having an issue with the vector boundary and the 3d model having a gap in certain spots that is allowing the bit to try and drop down into the void creating dimple patterns on the outer edge.
I have attached a screen shot of the vector boundary and the 3d model so you can see where the dimple pattern would occur, need to know how to fill in these gaps with the model to prevent the bit from dimpling the edge. I have to keep the vector boundary at its current size as this is a check fixture and has to be these exact dimensions.
I have also included a picture of the actual result.
Thanks
Randy
Attachments
Screen shot of the Vector boundary and the 3D model
Screen shot of the Vector boundary and the 3D model
Picture of the dimpled edge.
Picture of the dimpled edge.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: 3D model Vector boundary issue

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Randy,

That hole in the model looks like it might be part of the model. When you create a vector around the model if there's open areas in the model it will create a vector for those areas. You can delete those vectors one by one if you want to which may take care of the dimple. If it doesn't you can use the sculpting tools to fix it.

Mark

randyb

Post by randyb »

It may be part of the model, but its not supposed to be, the edge you can see in the screen shot is what an exploded view of the edge of the model looks like, it is supposed to be a gradual curve with a Compound surface.
The model is supplied to me out of Rhino so I can't do anything with the model, I need to clean it up and basically fill in those gaps.
I've never used the sculpting tool, nor much of any other part of aspire, until just recently was using cut 3d.
I'll take a look at the sculpting part, if you can give me any specific direction within sculpting that would help.
Thanks
Randy

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I was looking at you second picture and can see a white area in the picture which I thought was part of the model. If it was it would put a vector in that area when you use the vector bounder tool in Aspire and then try to cut it out if the tool your using will fit.

I looked at the videos that contain sculpting information and I found three. E03 - Lioness (you could start at position 18:40), E07 Chinese Dragon (start at the beginning), F02 putting a model in a recess (you could start at 9:36). They go over the sculpting tools. You can add material, subtract material and smooth material. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it goes pretty fast.

Also the size of tool your using and the stepover has a lot to do with the look of the final product.

I hope this helps.
Mark

randyb

Post by randyb »

Thanks Mark, I'll check out the videos
Randy