3d Profile cutting of "AIR"

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
randyb
Model of CNC Machine: Vortec

3d Profile cutting of "AIR"

Post by randyb »

I'm new to the Aspire program and I have a project I'm working on that I need to shorten the run time on.
The easiest way to describe it would be a rectangular shaped object 2 inches thick that has a half inch wide perimeter section that is raised about half inch from the middle area.
I cut a pocket into the middle section to create a relief.
I now need to 3d profile the outer edge, the original 3d pattern was for the entire surface of the model including the pocket, it was much faster to select the inner edge of the raised perimeter and just pocket it out, however now the 3d profile wants to run across the area that used to be there and is in essence cutting "AIR" and the run time is coming up around 14 hours.
How can I tell Aspire to only cut the 3d profile on the outer perimeter edge and skip everything in the middle.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Randy

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Re: 3d Profile cutting of "AIR"

Post by mike1966 »

you could make a vector boundary around the area you want to cut, when you select the boundary vectors it will only make the toolpath inside the vectors

randyb

Post by randyb »

Thats what I thought, but in essence I want to create both an external and Internal boundary, Can I select two boundry vectors?

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mike1966 »

I'm not sur if you can make 2 with the doundry vector tool, but you can draw one of the boundries with the create rctangle or poly line

randyb

Post by randyb »

Looks like I just answered my own question, just tried selecting both the outer and inner vector and it does indeed only cut the area in between.
Thanks
Randy

randyb

Post by randyb »

Well now I'm having exactly the same problem I had last time I had to make one of these.
When I generate the boundary it creates a nice smooth arc, but the 3d pattern is made up of may jagged edges which don't completely fill in the gap between the boundary and the 3d model.
This results in the bit trying to plunge down where it things there is no surface pattern and dimples the cut.
I have included a couple of pictures of what the result is as well as a screen shot of the boundary vector and the pattern so you can see what I'm talking about. Any ideas on how to fill in the voids would be appreciated.
Thanks
Randy
Attachments
Dimpled Edge2.jpg
Vector Boundary Screen Shot.jpg

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mike1966 »

I think the vectors need to be offset the distance of the diameter of the bit, not positive thou so check the preview before cutting