3d toolpath and outer profile

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
randyb
Model of CNC Machine: Vortec

3d toolpath and outer profile

Post by randyb »

I've been given a project with an extemely tight time frame and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I currently have cut 3D and have had an issue with the toolpath trying to do both the inner and outer edges which takes forever.
The outer is nothing more than a profile cut.
I thought maybe Aspire may be the answer, I have downloaded the trial version to see what it would look like and what the cut time would be.
Its still trying to incorporate both the outer and the inner with the same pattern and is coming up with a total run time of almost 30 hours.
The piece is large, about 44 inches by 50 inches and about 9 inches thick. I'm using a 1 inch ball for the roughing pass at .5 inch depth passes and that is coming up at around 18 hours at 150 inches a minute.
I think the big issue is the outer perimeter is being incorporated into the entire 3d toolpath.
Picture wanting to carve a large square dish with a small raised section in the middle. I want to be able to do all the 3d toolpathing from the edge inwards, once that is done, simply run an outer profile cut, the outside edges are straight down.
I'm sure this shouldn't take 30 hours to run, I really need some guidance, I have VCarve Pro, Cut 3D and am prepared to upgrade to Aspire if I need to.
I don't have allot of time to learn how to use Aspire and don't know if Cut 3d has the capability to do what I need.
I gladly send the file to an Aspire user for you to take a look at and let me know what the machine time should be and the process to get there.
I'm in Vancouver Canada, if any users are in the area I'd love to get together to discuss if possible.
Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Randy

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: 3d toolpath and outer profile

Post by dealguy11 »

You need to set up a closed boundary vector just around the part you want carved. When you're creating your carving toolpath, select the boundary vector (NOT the carved component) and Aspire will carve only what's inside the boundary vector. For the remainder of the square dish, cut it with a pocket toolpath using a larger end-mill, which should be much faster than carving and will leave a smoother edge on the vertical part of the dish.

The easiest way to create a boundary vector is to select the component(s) you want carved, then click on the "Create vector boundary from selected components" icon (fourth on the second row of the Modeling tab". If the end mill from the pocketing toolpath leaves a little bit uncut around the carved area, then use a boundary vector offset in the 3D Finishing Toolpath window to extend the boundary vector just a bit.

All of this is covered in the tutorials. It would be helpful to run through the 3d tutorials.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

randyb

Post by randyb »

If I uploaded the file could you look at it and let me know what an expected machine time should be, I got the boundary vector to work as you described but its still roughing in the 20 something hours.
One of the issues is this is creating allot of sawdust, the part is 9 inches thick but only because of the one end of the model. The other end is only about 2 inches thick so I'm machining off 7 inches x about 30 x 44 inches.
Let me know if you would be willing to take a quick look at the file and give me some expected machine times.
Thanks
Randy

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Posting the file will not help. Files created with the Trial versions can only be opened by yourself and Vectric.

As for estimated times, you can't go by that until you have actually run files and adjusted the Scale Factor for your machine and the type of toolpath (2D verses 3D for example). The same is true for the estimated times in Cut3D.

Tim

randyb

Post by randyb »

I meant upload the STL file that I was given to work with.
Even a gut check that says this should take 6 hours vs 26 hours.
Randy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It might do but as Tim says the estimate is pretty much meaningless until you've adjusted the scale factor on a real world cut. With all the Z moves in a 3D cut you may find that you can push the feed rate much higher than usual in the actual cut.

randyb

Post by randyb »

Ok thanks, I'm going to try it in a block of styrofoam first then