combine 2 (or more) components into 1 single piece!?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
blende66
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: SK 1609 - DI

combine 2 (or more) components into 1 single piece!?

Post by blende66 »

I don't know how to get this fixed... :(

For example, I take a decorative clipart out of the gallery and want to copy that once (or a couple of times, doesn't matter) and have them arranged in a line. So I used the 'Linear Array Copy'-Tool, selected the number of copies in columns and set the gap to zero. I thought, they should be one next to the other now... But what I get is an array with space between the copies - although I set the gap to zero:
temp.jpg
How do I get this gap closed and the components into one single component?

Markus

LH

Re: combine 2 (or more) components into 1 single piece!?

Post by LH »

blende66 wrote:How do I get this gap closed and the components into one single component?
set the gap to -1 or -2
Lukas Hodiamont, Signmaker

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

The components have an invisible pixel border around them which is why you see this. As LH suggests try a Gap with a very small negative size (the size of the pixel) and you should get what you need. Alternatively you can draw a vector which is the size you want, scale the model to visibly hit the edges with the grayscale then use the Offset array option (using the size of the vector) and it should work.

Cheers,
James

blende66
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: SK 1609 - DI

Post by blende66 »

Thanks for your ideas!

@ Lukas

But when I overlap them, I'm loosing details on the sides of the components. That would be O.K. if there are no details, but like with my example, there is no space on the left/right for overlapping. They're cut exactly to have them arranged next to each other. But this invisible pixel border is a problem! So for that there must be an other way!?

@ James

O.K. that explains a lot. I already thought of something like that but couldn't imagine how/why. Is this pixel border around components equal on all 4 sides? Do you have a number for us? How many pixels or mm is this border wide?

I already tried to overlap them a little and to merge them. That does, what I want but like I mentioned before, I'm loosing details... I even tried to overlap them as little as possible (highest zoom) manually, but then some of them still have that space in between.

Your alternative way seems to work - although this isn't an accurate way either ("scale the model to visibly hit the edges with the grayscale") ...

So far, it looks all right. For now...
temp.jpg
Thanks

Markus

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

blende66

Working with pixel based models there is always a very small amount of inaccuracy compared to an entity like a vector. However if the resolution of your component and model is good enough then it should be accurate enough. That is why I suggested using a vector then scaling the model so the edge pixel in the greyscale lines up with the vector (do this well zoomed in. Once you do this then the Component should behave as you want for something like an array or copy. When modeling from a vector this will not be an issue as the invisible pixels would be added onto the outside of the shape.

The invisible border gives us a lot of power over the components in Aspire and how we can use them. It is formed when the component is created or edited and at that stage it is a 2 pixel border added round the edge of the non-transparent pixels in the component. The component is created from the working model, so if the data in the working model reaches to the edge, there is no room for a border and it won't be added. As such there is no physical size which would be consistent as it would depend on the current job size and resolution as to exactly how big it would be.

If your not familiar with resolution then the document attached to this FAQ is a good place to start: http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... resolution

Hope this helps. Pixel based modeling, resolution etc. can take some getting used to if your more familiar with regular CAD. Although you have to remember some of the things which are a bit fuzzy like this are directly linked to the flexibility of using these tools.

Cheers,
James