can I model something like this in Aspire 4

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

can I model something like this in Aspire 4

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

I don't have cut 3d but would like to carve this using HDU foam ( Sign foam) Any ideas how I might model this so I can carve it.

I do have a rotational axis so I could rotate it or I could do 4 side and do a 2 1/2 d relief carving for each side and then phisically reposition the object and then so final detail work with a dremel.
Attachments
Image01.jpg
Jim Sussex WI
Heritage Carving and Woodworking
Legacy Maverick 3X5
http://www.heritagecarving.com

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: can I model something like this in Aspire 4

Post by zeeway »

It is possible to model that in Aspire with a lot of skill and patience...certainly more than I have in either department.

Angie

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I would step up to a challenge like that. Then again I am either deranged or just dumb. But then - maybe I am "progressive". Truly not sure. That would take me a year or more to learn to be able to do it.

It's kinda tough asking that question in a Vectric forum, because we are all loyal Vectric fans, but there may be other ways to do that - "wink".

I "think" it can be done in Aspire - but I am pretty sure there would be some significant work done with you hands and fingers at the end. This would be a significantly high level of skill.

I can imagine a 4 position rotary operation. Heck - you don't need the rotary - it's just four sided machining. Each side would be modeled.

As for the Modeling? Looking at the model - I don't really know if Aspire can actually make the model. I have not seen, nor do I have the experience.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

IF I had to model that I would use Rhino, export as an .stl, then import it to Cut3D.

But in reality I would pay someone to scan it, then import the model into Cut3D. Save you hours and hours of modelling work (unless you have some experience with 3D modelling programs).
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

Leo and RSCrawford, Thanks for your comment.

As Leo implied part of it is the challenge and journey. Leo I did post this in the Aspire section you are just reading both. I also think I could bring in the 4 sides, manipulate the image in Aspire 3d and then machine it on all 4 sides. Putting it between centers would allow me to hold the origin surface as I carved each side. I agree that it may be easier to finish up with a dremel and some carving tools.

I just need a little coaching on manipulation of a image to 3 d . I think I'll go back and watch a few more aspire training videos relate to that.
Frankly I was hoping someone who has done it would push me in the right direction.

As for cut 3d - the shape isn't that complicated if I forego the negative cut under the chin which I could probably pickup in the profile cuts.

It's just a curiosity and I want to do it if it's reasonable :)
Jim Sussex WI
Heritage Carving and Woodworking
Legacy Maverick 3X5
http://www.heritagecarving.com

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Have a look at what they are doing here http://forums.oxenhamdesign.com/
You will be amazed at what can be done.
Cheers
Woffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Ohh it CAN most certainly be done.

There may be people watching that do not have a rotary axis and would wonder HOW "they could do it".

As to the 4 sided - keeping the centerline - without rotary - that is entirely possible and not very difficult. Just start with a block "square" and long. Do the machining in the middle of the block but leave the ends in tact. This way - the x-y-z zero point is always available - then a small saw cut top and bottom to remove the piece. You unclamp the block - rotate to the next side - reclamp - (touch tools to top)(MAYBE) and resume machining. In this case - the rotary axis is going to no more than this.

What I am not so sure about is if Aspire can "model" this piece. What I mean is that I don't know if the full 3D - all sides - can be modeled using Aspire alone. I believe Aspire can model only in one plane.

Check out the link from Ms Wolfie - and I also would encourage you to peruse the stuff Dan Sawatsky does at www.imaginationcorporation.com Dan used Enroute, not Vectric, but they are both equal in ability. Dan adds sculpting into his work. Jamie Oxenham and his wife Jody work as a movie prop designers. Dan is a world award winning sculptor, designer, sign maker, theme park designer. If you don't get inspired by those guys - you have no blood.

Dan has a blog to show detailed steps of lots of the work he has done. Like I said he uses Enroute - but I have not see anything he does in Enroute that cannot be done in Aspire. http://www.enrouteadventures.blogspot.com/ You can learn exponentially from following his blog. I know I have.

You may need different software to create the full 3D model. Rhino, Hexagon, or some other that is full 3D capable - then export an STL into Aspire or Cut3D to do the toolpathing.

Jamie Oxenham uses Hexagon for modeling the more complex stuff then toolpaths in Aspire. Jamie also does modeling in Aspire. He also has a blog that is great to follow. http://fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com/
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

It can be modeled.

Looking at the pictures, there are a couple of undercut spots that cannot be reached by a 3 axis machine.