Update Suggestion

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
4240harold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: weeke bhp200

Update Suggestion

Post by 4240harold »

When rotating vectors,if it was possible to select the X and Y point, from which rotation would take place would be useful addition
harold

kzeyus
Vectric Wizard

Re: Update Suggestion

Post by kzeyus »

I think the Circular Copy function will accomplish what you are after.
Attachments
Snap1.jpg
Ken Zey
Rogers, AR
http://www.CedarSlabSigns.com
http://www.lookoutmercantile.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 72x144

4240harold
Vectric Craftsman

Post by 4240harold »

Hi Ken
Thanks for your suggestion, what you suggest is on the right track but you end up with a load of copies ,
I have attached a screen shot of what I was doing ,This is an centre island for a kitchen and i was setting the units around the curve, it would be easier if after getting one point in the correct position ,that the selected vectors (the unit in this case)could be rotated around it, to the correct point
Hope this explains my request.
Harold
Attachments
isle.PNG

mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I would like to see the ability to specify center of rotation, too. In the meantime, often we can draw some additional "scrap" geometry to add to our "keeper" geometry to move the center of rotation where we want it. A little thinking may be involved for more complex rotation center relocations (I have good and bad days for this!).

Anyway, I did up a quick-and-simple example of moving the center of rotation on a box lid to a hinge location. By selecting both the "keeper" shape and the "scrap" shape, you can rotate on the new center of rotation by whatever amount you like. The example is only one way to do this (I thought of another similar method while I was making this example).
Attachments
1_default_center_of_rotation.gif
2_align_copy_of_lid_as_shown.gif
3_select_both_items.gif
4_rotate_around_new_center.gif
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Another way to accomplish this is to use the copy objects along vectors tool. You still need some "scrap" geometry because the vector to be copied on needs to be offset to the centre of the objects to be copied.
I hope this helps
Euan

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

Yes, one of the thinks that bugs me is the rotation. there should be a box that you can tell deg's of rotation or like in rhino that you pick center of rotation and it snaps at 90 deg inc unless you hold down the shift key. this way you can rotate an object square.
Thanks
Donald Clifton

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (extensively modified)

Post by FixitMike »

To put the center of rotation where you want it, just add a circle that encompasses everything you want to rotate with its center at where you want the center of rotation to be. Pick the circle as well as the vectors you want to rotate and rotate. You can use the rotate tool, or click a second time on one of the vectors, and then click and hold on one of the black squares at a corner to rotate. Hold down the shift key to rotate in 15 degree increments.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Dclifton2 wrote:Yes, one of the thinks that bugs me is the rotation. there should be a box that you can tell deg's of rotation or like in rhino that you pick center of rotation and it snaps at 90 deg inc unless you hold down the shift key. this way you can rotate an object square.
Thanks
Donald Clifton
Do you want to enter an absolute angle? You can already enter relative angles using the rotate tool. The 0 and 9 shortcut keys will rotate 45 degrees at a time around the bounding box center.

mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard

Post by mtylerfl »

FixitMike wrote:To put the center of rotation where you want it, just add a circle that encompasses everything you want to rotate with its center at where you want the center of rotation to be. Pick the circle as well as the vectors you want to rotate and rotate. You can use the rotate tool, or click a second time on one of the vectors, and then click and hold on one of the black squares at a corner to rotate. Hold down the shift key to rotate in 15 degree increments.
That will work in some cases (when you want to rotate everything within the circle) ...however, that method won't work for a situation like my "hinged lid" example above.
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (extensively modified)

Post by FixitMike »

That will work in some cases (when you want to rotate everything within the circle) ...however, that method won't work for a situation like my "hinged lid" example above.

Michael T
http://www.carvebuddy.com
It should work. You select only the circle and the vectors you want to rotate. It is similar to your method, except instead of making a copy of the lid, you add the circle and then rotate the lid with the circle. This is what I mean:
Hinged cover.JPG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

4240harold
Vectric Craftsman

Post by 4240harold »

Thanks to all for suggestions
I wasn't expecting a solution ,but Michael T and fixit mike have hit the nail on the head ,Super answers and does exactly what I was requesting.
these solutions are like all great ideas ,when you see them you wonder "why did I not think of that"
Harold

mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard

Post by mtylerfl »

Fixitmike,

Thanks for straightening me out! (your method works like a charm!)

Harold,

Glad we could help!
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

didn't see the rotation tool before. that works fine for me thanks Adrian.
Donald Clifton