not a tip but a question

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
stankern
Vectric Wizard

not a tip but a question

Post by stankern »

I have noticed that some PDF files go right into aspire and most don't an alarm comes up saying something about bit mapped
My question is what software creates a PDF that is readable through aspire ,I use acrobat pro x and it does not .
Is there a scanning package that produces this type of readable PDFs aspire

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: not a tip but a question

Post by Adrian »

Aspire will only import the vector parts of a PDF not the bitmapped part. It's the source of the material that is used to create the PDF file rather than the method use to create it that matters.

If you create a PDF file from a photograph then it will never import as a it's a bitmap and not a vector image.

Aspire can read bitmap files directly for subsequent tracing so if you've got those then just import them directly rather than exporting as a PDF.

If your source files are pure vectors then try them as AI or EPS file from the original source instead.

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

I agree with what you're saying ,but this all started when i downloaded a clock diagram and it went right into aspire and it was a pdf file
so it made me think there are more pdf files out there .
One thing adobe acrobat pro is not producing a pdf that aspire picks up
I have include the raw pdf pinion and the aspire file i made from that file ,its cutable part

stan
Attachments
clock part.crv3d
(368 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
P-C03-0022-20-T-pinion-10DP-375-rev1.pdf
(45.45 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The clock diagram would go straight into Aspire if the PDF was created from a vector source. If it was created from a bitmap source then it wouldn't.

That's the problem with PDF files. You just don't know what they contain. Many people sell plans etc in PDF format but a lot of them are just scanned bitmaps. Aspire won't read those so you have to use another program or a screen capture to make them back into a bitmap file that Aspire can read.

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

can you explain from a vector source,how is a file picked up form a vector source and outputed as a pdf

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Hello Stan,

A pdf file can contain different "formats" within itself.

The file flags information that is bitmap, as bitmap. The same is true for vector images. They are marked as being vector.

For instance, I use Corel, it can create pdf files. If I draw a vector shape, import a bitmap and type some text, then publish it as a pdf, Aspire will read the text as vectors and import it. It will obviously read the vector shape and import that. But the bitmap portion is totally ignored. However, all the information is within the pdf file.

I suppose the easiest way to think of it is that a pdf file is not a "format" per se, instead, it is a file that can contain many different formats.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

This is a Vector source
ArmyHummer.ai
(9.08 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
This is not
ArmyHummerBitmap.pdf
(44.8 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

thanks I have it now ,always on the look out to find a better or easier way into aspire from a diagram

stankern
Vectric Wizard

Post by stankern »

ok i tried the corel thing and yes the printing comes up as a vector that aspire picks up,
got excited there for awhile .
Back to doing this the way i was doing it before and there is this way too

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

A PDF file is actually a container that holds whatever you want to place within it.
That container can be created by many different versions of software.
That container could hold anything from text to bitmaps to vectors.
Trying to import a PDF container usually means importing a vector.
However, importing a PDF that contains a bit map is not importing a vector..

A bitmap file is made up of tiny bits or pixels. It can become very large as the number of bits is increased. Blow up a bitmap and all the edges become jagged with stair steps all over it. The bits become large blocks..

A vector is made up from calculations that define the length and curve of a line. No mater how large you make the vector the size of the file remains the same. Blow it up[ and the edges remain sharp and defined. A vector is perfect for cad cam work.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

signmarketingman wrote:A PDF file is actually a container that holds whatever you want to place within it.
That container can be created by many different versions of software.
That container could hold anything from text to bitmaps to vectors.
Trying to import a PDF container usually means importing a vector.
However, importing a PDF that contains a bit map is not importing a vector..

A bitmap file is made up of tiny bits or pixels. It can become very large as the number of bits is increased. Blow up a bitmap and all the edges become jagged with stair steps all over it. The bits become large blocks..

A vector is made up from calculations that define the length and curve of a line. No mater how large you make the vector the size of the file remains the same. Blow it up[ and the edges remain sharp and defined. A vector is perfect for cad cam work.
Thank you. Those are definitions I can understand.

Angie

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

I get that message "Failed to import Vector data from EPS/AI/PDF The file probably only contains bitmap data" when I try to import an EPS from my program of choice, URW Signus Design Profi Plus.

After a few emails to and fro to Vectric Support I was unable to achieve a result, support insisted it was not vector data.

Fact is that the EPS files only has vector data, absolutely not a skeric of bitmap data, not even a preview.

I am able to open these EPS files in every other vector program I have (and that is and has been many over the years) but to get them into Aspire I have to open them in another program and export them again as an EPS then I can bring them into Aspire.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Do they have any graduated fills or shading? I've found the import doesn't always work if you have them in a vector file.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Adrian, the file has only sans serif lettering, solid black fill, no outlines or pens, It's a very basic vector file.

The actual file I originally sent to vectric is attached.

regards, Graham
Attachments
SLEEPW1.EPS
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Definitely appears to be only vectors to me. It is a very old format though which might be an issue depending on what libraries Vectric are using for the import.

My vector editing program (Xara) says that it doesn't know what to do with the file but will attempt to open it. It does then open it as a vector file. I've never seen it come up with that message on any other EPS file before so it does look like there is something a bit "funky" about the format of it.