closing vectors

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
DougW
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

closing vectors

Post by DougW »

In creating a banner..how do I connect an open vector line inside a closed vector shape. It wood be a perpendicular connection like joining a vertical line to a cross bar "T". This newbie is snowed.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: closing vectors

Post by Mike-S »

Welcome Doug.

By definition, a vector has direction and distance. You can't combine one to the middle of another.

The software will let you cut "ON" an open vector, so you don't have to close everything unless it's for V-carving.
As always, a picture would help us help you.

BTW, you should probably edit two of your posts as you triple posted the question..... :wink:

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi Doug, I deleted the extra posts. With regard to your question a picture of what your trying to do may help with providing ideas.
Thanks
James

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Looks like he is trying to make a T-junction from two vectors by joining the end of one vector to the middle of another vector. Weld and Join doesn't do it, and I don't think Aspire/VCP allows it.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

I don't know if I will get the terminology correct, but ...

for Aspire/vCarve purposes a vector is made up of nodes and lines. Lines can be straight or curved. A node will only allow for two lines to be connected to it. Therefore, what you are trying to do is not possible. You cannot connect three lines to a single node.

Depending on what your goal is, there may be other ways to accomplish your objective, as others have pointed out.

If you could let us know what effect you are trying to achieve I am sure that someone here can give you some advice.

Gordon

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Post by mike1966 »

You can connect a vector by going to node edit and add a point where you want to connect them then select both and click on the icon to join vectors with a straight line.
I attached a screen shot and the file.
Attachments
t-joined vectors.crv3d
(10 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Untitled.png

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

You can connect a vector by going to node edit and add a point where you want to connect them then select both and click on the icon to join vectors with a straight line.
If you look closely the vector doubles back on itself on the left horizontal segment. The center node is actually two nodes with the same exact X,Y position.

I do not believe this was what the OP was trying to do.

Tim
Attachments
one vector.JPG

DougW
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by DougW »

Thanks for your replies...It's a learning process for sure.. I actually ended up doing a profile cut and it carved correctly. I just frustrated myself thinking it could only be a v-carve cut.