pocket process

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
hockeyguy01
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc

pocket process

Post by hockeyguy01 »

Hi everyone. I have a question in regards to pocketing. First thing I am not cutting material yet just using the trail version of aspire trying to learn it before I make the purchase.

I opened a new project and made two squares. one 3 inch the other 1.5 inch. I selected both vectors and went to the tool path panel and did a create pocket tool path set my start depth at 0.0 and cut depth to .3 inches. i chose a .125 inch ball nose on the first section i assume that is finishing tool path. and i checked the next box and chose a .250 end mill, and i didn't check for a ramp. calculated the tool path and previewed the tools and everything looks great. when i press the tab next to the 3d view it goes back to the drawing. i highlighted the clear tool path and it shows all the lines of the tool path. i uncheck it and highlight the second next tool path and it shows the tool going around the edges of the two squares. it does not show anything in the middle. Does this mean that it is not doing a finish cut?

It is confusing as the tool path list the tool as pocket 1 (clear) and the second line just Pocket 1. If i go back and look at the tool setting i assume in the second section under cutting depth is the second tool and i had selected ball nose is this the clear tool or the profile tool that just goes around the profile? In the 3rd section it would suggest that the end mill is used for larger area clearance tool. But if the ball nose tool does not go over the interior of the pocket should i set the end mill step over to smaller number for finishing purposes? and also set the pass depth shallower for finish purposes?.

Mark

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: pocket process

Post by Adrian »

The second tool selection is to allow for a larger tool to make the pocket toolpath faster and more efficient to run. Two toolpaths are created when you do that, one for the smaller tool and one for the larger tool but it's logically one toolpath and you should really preview them together to see the effect.

The first tool isn't the finishing tool and neither is the optional second. They're both used to cut the pocket in the most efficient way. The first tool won't go over areas that the second one can reach. For a simple pocket like a square the first tool would only go around the edges but if you were pocketing a more complex shape it could go anywhere the second tool won't fit.

As you suspect you have to set the stepover on both tools to a level that gives you the finish you require.

The finishing pass (around the edge) is specified in the drop down at the end of the Clear Pocket... section.

Have you been through the videos and FAQ's at the support site - http://support.vectric.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

When the Use Larger Area Clearance Tool option is selected, you need to understand that second, larger tool, will cut to finish depth. The smaller tool only removes the amount specified on sidewalls in Pocket Allowance text box.

If this is not what you want to do then:

Select the pocket, select your larger clearance tool.
Set the depth to something less than your finish depth
Specify an amount in the Pocket Allowance text box.
Calculate.

Select the pocket tool a second time (in effect, creating a new pocket).
Select your finish tool, set the final depth of cut, make sure Pocket Allowance is zero.
Calculate.

This last routine is when you want to finish the bottom as well as the sides. The Use Larger Tool for clearance does not allow for that, to my knowledge.

hockeyguy01
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc

Post by hockeyguy01 »

Hi TReischl

Thanks for the response I follow everything that you have said but the last part can you clarify one thing for me?

Your response below.

Select your finish tool, set the final depth of cut, make sure Pocket Allowance is zero.
Calculate.

when I select the pocket tool the second time do I use the first section or the use larger area clearance one.

My thoughts are I use the 1st selection to profile the wall and around text or graphic profiles in the recess. Then I use the second selection" large are clearance tool" and pick for example .125 ball nose and set the step over to 10% (example) not sure what a good step over rate is for finishing.

This would give me two "pocket clear" tools and two pocket tools. Is this correct.

And one last thing will the cut out view show me ifs the tool will profile a word? For example "test" would it sow if the tool will go between the e and the s if text is tool small and the width between letters is less then .125 will it show me that the "test with no profile on the e and s

Thanks again for your response.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I don't do pockets the way TReischl does so I'll let him answer that part.

As far as being able to see where the cutter will fit you need to be in the 2D view. Make sure the checkbox next to the toolpath you're interested in is checked and make sure the Show 2D previews and Solid box at the bottom of the Toolpath tab are checked.

These will highlight all the areas that the toolpath can reach.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X10 RP 2010 Screenset

Post by TReischl »

hockeyguy01 wrote:Hi TReischl

Thanks for the response I follow everything that you have said but the last part can you clarify one thing for me?

Your response below.

Calculate.

when I select the pocket tool the second time do I use the first section or the use larger area clearance one.

My thoughts are I use the 1st selection to profile the wall and around text or graphic profiles in the recess. Then I use the second selection" large are clearance tool" and pick for example .125 ball nose and set the step over to 10% (example) not sure what a good step over rate is for finishing.

This would give me two "pocket clear" tools and two pocket tools. Is this correct.

And one last thing will the cut out view show me ifs the tool will profile a word? For example "test" would it sow if the tool will go between the e and the s if text is tool small and the width between letters is less then .125 will it show me that the "test with no profile on the e and s

Thanks again for your response.
The second technique I described was to allow leaving finish material on both the bottom and sides.

If you use this technique, you should not use the Large Area Clearance tool option at all, it would be a waste of time.

To answer your second question, if the tool cannot fit between to shapes or letters, yes, you will see it.

I am curious though, as to why you would use a ball nose end mill to cut a pocket? Unless you want those radii at the bottom.

Adrian: I typically do not use the method I described either. Every now and then I cut some metal and it needs to look "consistent" on the bottom of the pocket. Using a large tool and then a smaller one does not always produce the desired "look".