Modeling a half hull of a sailboat

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Uncle Henry
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Modeling a half hull of a sailboat

Post by Uncle Henry »

Has anyone tried to do a half hull. A friend asked me if I could do this for his sailboat and prematurely I said no problem. As I see it I could trace the outline of the hull and convert it into a 3D model using a vector of the side of the boat, but there are several changes in the angles that change from the bow to stern.
Am I over thinking this.

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Re: Modeling a half hull of a sailboat

Post by cac67 »

On a two rail sweep you can use multiple profile vectors and blend from one profile to another. That's the way I'd do it for a boat hull. The attached picture shows a rifle I was modelling that was going to be a small part of the USMC enlisted rank insignia. Everything modeled in that picture is done with two rail sweeps, but in particular the stock is one sweep using 7 profile vectors. They weren't all different, I use multiples of the same profile to determine where it blends from one to another.
m14.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The two rail sweep overview video on this page - http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... orials.htm - shows the principles of using multiple profiles in a single sweep.

Boat plans work well for this as they have through the hull cross sections that show how the hull blends. One of the first things I modelled in Aspire was the hull of my old powerboat.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I did a perfect half hull model a few years ago - unfortunately is was totally done by hand.

All the points in space can be laid out.

There are two grids. One grid is horizontal - and the other grid is vertical.

I think with a bit or ingenuity it could be done in a two rail sweep in slices.

You would need the numbers. That would be the points in space for where the measurements are from boat center line to hull and from waterline to intersecting point on hull.

I know that's a bit confusing, and not the answer you want - but, a sailboat hull really is pretty confusing.

That IS a challenging project though. Sounds intriguing to me.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Uncle Henry wrote:Has anyone tried to do a half hull. A friend asked me if I could do this for his sailboat and prematurely I said no problem. As I see it I could trace the outline of the hull and convert it into a 3D model using a vector of the side of the boat, but there are several changes in the angles that change from the bow to stern.
Am I over thinking this.
Hi Henry,

You may wish to post a photo of the hull you are trying to create. That way, folks here could possibly guide you better with the two-rail sweep strategy to create the model.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

If you can get a diagram like this of the boat , you'll have the sweep shapes pre-drawn.
Attachments
boathalf.jpg