STL layers ?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
mihai

STL layers ?

Post by mihai »

Hi,

I am trying to cut an STL 3D MODEL, but I am not able to found out from where to set
how deep is every layer in this case (using Aspire), or from where to set how many layers
I intend to use for this job (like in Cut 2D).

Thank you,

Mihai

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: STL layers ?

Post by tmerrill »

Mihia,

I think you are asking about Slicing a 3D model and there is an icon in the Modeling tools where you input the settings. See circled icon below.

There is also a tutorial on your Aspire DVD that is worth watching as Aspire's Slicing feature provides more options and controls than Cut3D's. It is Tutorial 18 as shown in the second picture.

If this isn't what you want, please let us know.

Tim
Attachments
Aspire Slice Model tool.JPG
Aspire Slice Model Tutorial.jpg

mihai

Post by mihai »

Hi,
Thank you for your answer, but I am not talking about that. I need to know how to set the number of tool passes cuting the material until is complet.
For example, if my STL model has 5mm hight, this hight can be divided in 5 layers, so the tool cross the material for five times until the end. About this I am talking, but for the specific situation with the 3D STL model.

Thank you,
Mihai

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Sorry, now I understand.

To carve your model you are going to setup two toolpaths, a roughing toolpath and a finish toolpath. Both icons are found in the toolpath section.

When you set up the roughing toolpath you will pick the tool you want to use and then you can edit that tool and set the Pass Depth to the depth you want for each pass. This will calculate a multi-pass toolpath that removes excess material from around the model until it reaches the Material Allowance amount, which is the amount of material that will be removed by the finish pass.

When you set up the finish toolpath you will pick the tool you want but you cannot change the Pass Depth as the finish toolpath is always calculated as a single pass since it is only removing the small amount of material left from the roughing toolpath.

Tim

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Mihai,

The number of z slices that are taken to 3D rough machine the 3D model.
Is set for each tool, within the tool database.
It is labeled as "Pass Depth" within the Cutting Parameters
The number can also be edited for a specific toolpath using the "Edit" button on the
Rough Machining Toolpath form.
pass_depth.png
I hope that this helps,

Cheers,

Mark.

mihai

Post by mihai »

Thank you Tim !

Now is light in my head, thank's to you.

Mihai

mihai

Post by mihai »

Thank you Mark, also .

Mihai