Looking for a Tool Settings Library or Compendium Resource

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tuxedokman
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave CNC T30501 - CNC Shark SD120

Looking for a Tool Settings Library or Compendium Resource

Post by tuxedokman »

Hey, i'm new to cncing and am learning on my own (no classes or mentors) and i keep running into some basic problems with my cuts and projects. Its the settings for different materials. Is there a webpage or a resource that has general best settings for different materials? When i switch from hard woods to soft woods and foam and styrene ect, i usually break a bit or two and its getting frustrating and expensive. I'll just throw an image up for reference of what I'm talking about. Also the tab thickness and number is a problem that keeps happening to me to. Any links to resources i'd greatly appreciate! :oops:
Attachments
settings.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Looking for a Tool Settings Library or Compendium Resource

Post by Adrian »

The starting point is usually what is called chipload tables. Most decent manufacturers of bits provide them on their website or you can use generic ones ( https://cutter-shop.com/chip-load-chart/ ). You'll notice in the tool setup in the database there is a chip load factor calculated for you. You match that up with the settings from the table.

Note that if you don't have variable RPM you may struggle to get close to the figures but, as I say, it's a ballpark starting point.

Whenever I use a new tool and/or material I create a series of test cuts to get a handle on what is best. You never want the bit to be to hot to touch after cutting and you want to be making chips not dust.

tuxedokman
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave CNC T30501 - CNC Shark SD120

Post by tuxedokman »

Thanks! i'll sit down and take a look over that site you sent. What manufacturers do you buy your bits from? I've been using McMaster-Carr and amazon, which probably are not the best, but since I'm breaking bits so often its saving a little.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I live in the UK so the sites I buy mine from probably wouldn't be economical for you and one of them doesn't ship to the US.