3d tool set

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
lestes
Model of CNC Machine: axiom pro a6 v5

3d tool set

Post by lestes »

I am sure this question has been answered many times but I couldn't find a specific answer.
When doing a 3d carving, do I zero the bits from the surface since the surface changes during the carving or do I zero from the table/spoil board?

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: 3d tool set

Post by adze_cnc »

Zeroing should be done from a known spot. If you are zeroing the roughing bit (square-end) from the surface of the material the finishing (ball-end) needs to be done from the same surface. If you've milled that surface away you now have to figure out a compensatory strategy.

Some examples:
  1. can you make the material larger than your cut area so that the surface will remain in the extra material?
  2. do you have a scrap piece of material the same thickness so that you can use that with the ball-end cutter?
  3. can you zero off the table surface and then move the machine in a known distance in the Z axis to the top of the material
How number 3 might work:
  • before the roughing cut: zero off the table surface
  • move to the surface of the material
  • before zeroing to that spot write down the distance we've moved in the Z axis
  • zero the bit
Now, when you want to zero off the ball-end cutter:
  • zero the ball-end to the table surface
  • manually move in the Z axis to the value written down above
  • zero to that height

lestes
Model of CNC Machine: axiom pro a6 v5

Post by lestes »

Thanks much. Using the scrap or leaving a border seems to make the most sense.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48,Denford Triac Modified

Post by martin54 »

I am not sure there is a right or a wrong way as both methods will work OK so I think It is really down to personal choice & how you like to set things up. some people will use the table surface/spoilboard, others will use the material surface, use whatever works best for you & the way you like to work. :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger/WinCNC

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think it also depends on your machine and how you have it configured. With mine, I always try to set the Z-zero to the spoilboard. There is a touch-off switch that measures the tool length after a tool change so I never have to set Z-zero again unless I surface the spoilboard or use the recoil indexing lathe. That said, there are times when setting Z-zero to the surface of the material is more convenient. So I guess my answer to the question would be to learn and understand each setting and set it to what ever is appropriate for the project.
Steve